CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tell Me Something Tuesday

Tell Me Something Tuesday presented by Cambria Hebert

Blurb courtesy of Cambria Hebert

Welcome to my weekly meme Tell Me Something Tuesday where I ask you something and you tell me the answer!! It’s as simple as that and I thought it would be a great way for all of us bloggers to get to know one another! So this is how it works: I post a question here on my blog and then i give my answer. I invite all the bloggers to take the question and post it on their blog with their answer and we can hop around and see what everyone says! If you are a blogger don’t forget to leave your link at the bottom of this post! If you aren’t a blogger – that’s okay too!! Leave your answer in the comments section!


Question this week:
What is the saddest book you have ever read?


This is a tough question for me given I stray from sad books simply because they are sad. And what is even sadder, the sad ones I know and remember are the ones I read in school. This is a clear sign schools want to depress the hell out us. Seriously though, the sad ones were my book assignments. Makes you wonder doesn't it. Nonetheless, here are a few books that I have read (no specific order), some many years ago, other more recent. I know it says one, but I can never do just one, it is so hard. Tell me if you guys have read any of these. Did they make you cry or am I a huge crybaby?


1. The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins
Review HERE
     After all the rave about this book, I had to get my hands on this book. Everyone kept talking about how intense and amazing it was. But I wish someone would have told me how sad this book was. If I had known, I wouldn't have read it in public. This book gave me a trembling lip for goodness sake. Not fun when you are alone and worse in front of strangers. What the hell Collins?! But honestly, this book is so well written and the emotions this book yanks out of you makes you love it more. But this definitely deserves to be on this list.


2. The Unquiet Ghost: Russians Remember Stalin by Adam Hochschild 
Info at Goodreads

    Example of school depressing the hell out of me. I had to read this for my Humanities class about three years ago in college. I usually don't read nonfiction/biography books, but this one stuck with me. Reading about the history of Russia and all that went on during the reign of the tyrant Stalin was mind-numbingly scary. One man's paranoia led to the death of over 20 million people. There were scenes in this book that are still in my head and I wish they weren't. This book had thing that were a little too much for me since they were so horrifying. But this was a great book and if you are a history nut, I would recommend this to you.


3. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
Info at Goodreads

    I read the book and watched the movie, which made me even more depressed. I understood it, but that did not mean I had to accept it. This book crushed me and again, for school. You are seeing a pattern aren't you? I did enjoy the book, but no way am I going to read this again.


4. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Info at Goodreads

    Another school project. This one I actually picked myself and was my best paper in my AP English class. A beautiful book and it may be "fiction", but it was no less real. A real classic and the film is just as good. I hope all of you had the chance to enjoy this book.


5. A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
Info at Goodreads

     This is another book I had to read for school. This is one of the few that I read again even after there was no assignment. I really enjoyed this. Now it is full of sad moments but it also has a lot of fun parts that are just as memorable. There is a lot of talk about God and religion, but trust me, this is not a religious book. You read this in church, you might get kicked out. A great book full of laughs and tears.

6 comments:

  1. One of the saddest reads for me was My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. Just thinking about it gets me misty-eyed...and kind of mad.

    Not Now...I'm Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am so glad you are doing this meme. I forgot about Mice and Men. John Steinbeck was just depressing I almost put The Pearl on my list. I have not heard of the Russian book or Owen Meanie. I will look into the Owen Meanie book but not the Stalin book. I have read plenty of those books like Schindlers List and others and they are so disturbing and sad it makes you cry for humanity. How can there be such monters? Thanks for the well wishes feeling a bit better, I have walking pneumonia. :( I will get well soon. Mostly just tired. Talk at you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Hunger Games, Rue's death really got to me.

    Millenium Trilogy by Steig Larsson, Lisbeth's backstory is so tragic.

    HP Deathly Hallows and all those people dying, even my Dad got teary when he read it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy, have you read the rest of the Hunger Games series? They really are good books, but don't read them in public then. ;) Oh, wonderful list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've cried at the end of Numbers by Rachel Ward, but I usually feel sadder by watching movies than by reading books. I cried my eyes out while watching P.S.I Love You...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ikr? He usually reads what we read so he can bond with us. He wants to have something in common with his kids aside from DNA. Lol

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D