CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Friday, February 3, 2012

Book Review: Invincible (Chronicles of Nick #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
Series: Chronicles of Nick
Number in Series: 2
Format: Audiobook
Time: 7 hrs. and 2 mins.
Narrator: Holter Graham
Release Date: March 22, 2011
Publisher: Macmillan Audio
Genre:Young Adult/Paranormal/Urban Fantasy/Science Fiction
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

Just when he thought things couldn’t get any worse...

Nick Gautier’s day just keeps getting better and better. Yeah, he survived the zombie attacks, only to wake up and find himself enslaved to a world of shapeshifters and demons out to claim his soul.

His new principal thinks he’s even more of a hoodlum than the last one, his coach is trying to recruit him to things he can’t even mention and the girl he’s not seeing, but is, has secrets that terrify him.

But more than that, he’s being groomed by the darkest of powers and if he doesn’t learn how to raise the dead by the end of the week, he will become one of them...
 
 
 
    Oh my goodness, Invincible was just as good as the first one. I finished this audiobook immediately after Infinity a month ago. This story is still stuck in my head and book 3, Infamous, comes out in March! Another book I know will be added to my favorites list.

    Invincible picks up immediately where Infinity left off. Nicks has recently found out everyone he knows is some supernatural creature of some kind. He now also knows that his mom now works for and with a whole group of them. This, of course, has Nick a little on edge. If that wasn’t enough, he is becoming friends with Death. Things seem to be looking up though; Nick is finally back on the football team. But it seems his new coach has drafted him for far more than playing football. Just another day in New Orleans.

    It is impossible not to love this series. It is just so frakking amazing. The characters are even more incredible this time around. Nick is still to die for. A great hero, who is strong, unsure, and has a tongue too sharp for his own good. We get deeper into Kody’s story and see what her role really is in all of this. It is pretty amazing and I like that it is more complicated than I thought. I love how she questions herself when it comes to Nick. It lets us know she will fight for him to become a better man and not what he is destined to be. Definitely can’t wait to see how this will pan out.

    And we get more of Nick and his mom. Like I said about Infinity, one of the most beautiful things about the book is Nick’s love for his mother. He would do anything for her, it is just so nice. He gets her get a job (with Kyrian’s help) after she loses it (because of him), but she doesn’t know she is working with supernatural creatures yet. I am looking forward to seeing how long Nick can keep this a secret from her and what her reaction would be.

   I love how the plot develops in this book. Nick’s school has a new coach that wants Nick to steal from his fellow classmates. If he doesn’t, Nick may or may not die “by accident”. The coach needs very specific items from these students, not copies that could be easily bought. When we find out what it is really all about and what this coach has done to get it, it is beyond anything I could have imagined. I love where this went and what we learn. Why the hell isn’t this a tv show already or something? 

    I love Invincible just as much as I loved Infinity. This book was a tad more serious than the first because we get more story not only from the main characters, but some of the very memorable side characters. My favorite was the story of why Bubba watches Oprah. I was listening to this part in my car driving home and I was in tears driving down the street. You literally go from crying one second to laughing the next. If you haven’t read anything from Kenyon, I urge you to. This is truly all I could ask for in a book and the fact that it is YA makes it even better. And as I said in my Infinity review, get the audiobook for the amazing narrator Holter Graham. If you are reading this, can you marry me?
 

Rating:

4 comments:

  1. Diana, great review!! I've never heard of this series but anything that Kenyon writes is incredible. I love her Belador series. I like it when an author spends time developing side characters. Jeaniene Frost is another author who's really good at this. So, is Nick a supernatural or is everyone else he knows one? I think i might have to pick this one up. I don't usually read YA but you make it sound so appealing, I may have to give in. thanks for the review luv!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it truly wonderful? I'm also following her Dark Hunter series and it's surreal to know Nick before he became Ambrose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to try this series. I have heard great things a d your review is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen these books, but was never to sure about them. Cool. Thanks for the review of the second one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D