CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Friday, February 10, 2012

Indie Book Review: Never Gonna Let You Go (The Underground #1) by Jessica E. Subject

Author: Jessica E. Subject
Series: The Underground
Number in Series: 1
Format: PDF
Pages: 54
Release Date: January 31, 2012
Publisher: Decadent Publishing
Genre: Science Fiction/Dystopian/GLBT/Erotic Romance









Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

Caught in a tangle of lies, Calla Jacobs must sort through the truth to discover where she truly belongs. A biologist for Planet Core, she finds herself ensnared in a web of deceit. Sent to Airondelle, she must work with a team to prepare the newly discovered planet for colonists from Earth. But the mission does not go as she expected. Her former lover, Erik Edwards, shuns her, sending Calla into the arms of Melina Holloway, their commander, for the attention she craves and more. A confrontation among the trio leaves her with a broken heart, and fleeing from the two people she trusted most.

Attempting to break free from the lies that bind her, she discovers Planet Core has deceived everyone. And when she returns to Earth, Calla learns just how far Planet Core’s control reaches.

    
     Never Gonna Let You Go is about a woman named Calla. Calla and her crew have been sent to the planet Airondelle on a mission to prepare the planet for people from Earth. Their main rule: no sex with anyone unless you are married to that someone. This is easy for Calla since her team consists of the man who broke her heart and once loved, Erik and his ex-wife Melina who is also the team’s commander. Erik and Calla used to be the best of friends while on Earth, but after Erik’s brief marriage to Melina, he has been crude and distant. Melina then befriends Calla, she says Erik may be pissed, but that is now reason they can’t be friends. What seems like a simple friendship quickly becomes something more as Calla trusts Melina and her words despite the rule. But Calla soon finds out that not only is Melina hiding secrets, but the very company that sent them to Airondelle is not as respectful as they would like them to believe.

     Now I love Jessica and her work. I have read everything she has done so far and love it all. Her stories are so beautiful and hard to put down. But I must admit, this was my favorite one. Being I am a sucker for a good conspiracy, I was foaming at the mouth with this story. It definitely took a turn I didn’t see coming. What at first looked like an evil slag getting between two people that have loved each other forever, quickly became a story about the very foundation that sent these people on a mission, ripping their lives apart. Not only is the planet Airondelle is trouble, but so is Earth and Planet Core is at the center of it all. Goodness, what an exciting plot. Just gives me chills thinking about it.

     The characters were great. All of them face terrible torment that we discover later on in the story and makes the all more likeable because of their sacrifices. I felt so sorry for Calla. It seemed as though everyone used her and thrown her aside once they were done. We see that all that happened with Melina would have been it and it was very heartbreaking. Erik was such a jerk, but we learn why he was and you feel for him as well. His guilt was all he had to offer Calla really. Melina’s surprised me the most. I won’t reveal any of this because it is a bit of a spoiler, but you will understand it.

     I really don’t want to spoil this for anyone, but trust me, this is a great short story that I know lots of people will enjoy. I can’t wait to see what is next in this series. Calla and Erik are hiding for their lives Underground (a place only rumored to exist) and they are planning something huge. I am desperate to find out what it is. For a short story, I got a little bit of all I could want. My only complaint is that I wish I got more of the worlds they were in, specifically what happened to Earth. But there is enough mystery here to keep me at the edge of my seat and like I said, I am very anxious for more. Check this out and thank you Jessica for once again gracing me with you awesomeness.

    
Rating:





*This book belongs to the following challenges*
Dead Book Darling's 2012 Short Story Challenge

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for reviewing Never Gonna Let You Go, Diana! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Diana! I'm going to check it out! oh and "evil slag" had me laughing out loud!! love it!

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D