CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Monday, February 6, 2012

Movie Review: Hugo (2011)


Synopsis from IMDB

Hugo is an orphan boy living in the walls of a train station in the 1930s in Paris. He fixes clocks and other gadgets as he learned to from his father and uncle. The only thing that he has left that connects him to his father is an automaton that doesn't work; Hugo has to find its heart-shaped key. On his adventures, he meets with a cranky old man who works in the train station and his adventure-seeking god-daughter. Hugo finds that they have a surprising connection to his father and the automaton, and as he discovers it, the old man starts remembering his past and his significance to the world of film-making.


     Hugo is about a little orphan boy named Hugo (Asa Butterfield) who lives in the walls of a train station in Paris. No one knows he is there of course. All Hugo does is steal and fixes the clocks that run in the station. It was Hugo’s father’s job before he died in a terrible accident. But before Hugo’s dad (Jude Law) died, Hugo and him were working on a man-shaped robot. Hugo continued to work on the robot after his dad died, stole the parts he needed from the old man, Georges (Ben Kingsley), that owned a fun little toy store in the station. The one thing missing though was a heart-shaped key to get it started. Sadly, Hugo can’t find it. The hunt for the key however reveals a connection between the old man and the robot and the past he tried to bury; his life in the film industry. His imagination and work buried because his passion diminished.

     I want to ask Scorsese one question: Why the hell don’t you make more children’s movies? This was brilliant. I looooved this movie so much. The movie and the story was so beautiful, I was in tears in the end. I did not see any of that coming. I love how the plot progresses. Hugo goes from being a poor boy in danger of being sent to an orphanage by the station inspector (Sacha Baron Cohen). He is fighting to stay in the train station and keep his father’s work alive.

     I love the characters in this movie. Hugo was a smart little boy fighting to keep his father’s livelihood alive. He wants to discover the secret behind the robot. I think he feels his dad’s spirit might be inside it. Instead, there is a connection between the robot and Georges. He befriends Georges’s granddaughter (or niece, honestly can’t remember), Isabella (Chloe Grace Moretz), and her adventurous mind starts the revelation Hugo needed. She was one of my favorites; she was a booklover that saw between the lines. I love that we see a change in the station inspector. He was such a huge jerk in this movie, taking every orphan child and sending them off to the orphanage.

     But what makes this film truly incredible is the message. This film reminds you why you love film so much. It truly is magic and that is what is important. Georges finds his passion again for the art and seeing him share his love of film brought a tear to my eye. This is a movie lover’s dream come true. Again, there will be tears. Any movie lover would fall in love with this and I definitely did.

     Watch this movie! It had everything I could want including the Martin Scorsese; one of my favorite directors in the world. Seeing this amount and love put into a film is too amazing. I am sure you know this movie has been nominated for eleven Oscars this year, including Best Picture. I will not be surprised if this wins Best Picture. It is so nice to see a kid’s movie not made by Pixar get a Best Picture nom. I loooooove Pixar, don’t get me wrong, but when it isn’t animated, family movies don’t make it anywhere. This will definitely be something new. Highly recommended!


Rating:

3 comments:

  1. Oooohhh thanks for the recommendation Diana. I love Chloe Moretz and this film got a lot of awards this season plus it's Scorsese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific review. You know I have not heard much about this movie. I saw the previews at Christmas and thought it looked good. Sigh I just don't get out to the movies with a 1&3 year old but I will definitley rent it. I agree Scorsese is amazing, I loved his movie that won five years ago the title is escaping me right now..Nicholson, DiCaprio, Wahlberg and Damon it was so good! Thanks for the wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. So glad to hear you enjoyed this one! I'm going to have to add it to the list of movies to get. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D