CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Monday, March 26, 2012

Book Review: The Demon Lover (Fairwick Chronicles #1) by Juliet Dark

Author: Juliet Dark
Series: Fairwick Chronicles
Number in Series: 1
Format: Ebook (Netgalley ePub )
Pages: 416
Release Date: December 27. 2011
Publisher: Random House Publishing Group
Genre: Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy










Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

I gasped . . . or tried to. My mouth opened, but I couldn’t draw breath. . . . His lips, pearly wet, parted and he blew into my mouth. My lungs expanded beneath his weight. When I exhaled he sucked in my breath and his weight turned from cold marble into warm living flesh.

Since accepting a teaching position at remote Fairwick College in upstate New York, Callie McFay has experienced the same disturbingly erotic dream every night: A mist enters her bedroom, then takes the shape of a virile, seductive stranger who proceeds to ravish her in the most toe-curling, wholly satisfying ways possible. Perhaps these dreams are the result of writing her bestselling book, The Sex Lives of Demon Lovers. After all, Callie’s lifelong passion is the intersection of lurid fairy tales and Gothic literature—which is why she finds herself at Fairwick’s renowned folklore department, living in a once-stately Victorian house that, at first sight, seemed to call her name.

But Callie soon realizes that her dreams are alarmingly real. She has a demon lover—an incubus—and he will seduce her, pleasure her, and eventually suck the very life from her. Then Callie makes another startling discovery: He’s not the only mythical creature in Fairwick. As the tenured witches of the college and the resident fairies in the surrounding woods prepare to cast out the incubus, Callie must accomplish something infinitely more difficult—banishing this demon lover from her heart.

*********************************************

     The Demon Lover is about a woman names Callie who just earned her dream job. She has just been hired as a professor at Fairwick College. The town is great and almost magical. It will be a great chance for her to work on her book. She soon stumbles on a house owned by an author who people thought were crazy. There was talk of a mysterious man who found its way into her room and she wrote of her experience of it. Callie thinks its crazy until she thinks that same man wants her. Callie soon finds out that not only does the house hold many secrets, but the entire town does as well.

      I finished this book a few months back actually. I wasn't kidding about how behind I am on reviews. And even now, there is something bugging me about this book. I haven't figured it out yet. Not completely anyway. It is a mixture of things. This wasn't a bad read mind you, I really enjoyed this story. But little things were bugging me and the ending result was a tad bit depressing.

     We have very interesting characters to follow. We have Callie. I think she was an okay lead. She isn't bad, but there were times she came off as a bitch. Even before things actually took place with the mystery man, she does and say things that made me want to punch her. I am sorry, but it is true. She is a rich city girl and judges people like the snob she is. She wasn't cold or heartless, but she has her shallow moments.

      And we had Liam, the sexy professor/poet who comes to work at the school after a teacher named Phoenix suddenly goes nuts. Callie had plenty to say about him even before she met him. But he was a good character who definitely has some secrets. I won't lie, he was a tad mushy for me, but very interesting. Even some of Callie's students like Mara and Nicky. They play interesting roles in this book and I would have liked to learn more about them. I loved.Ralph the mouse. He doesn't talk, but knows more than you would think and watches over Callie.

       I like how the plot develops in the book. We know Callie will be in for a surprise, but you have no idea to what extent. She finds out that a lot of people in town are supernatural. I love the variety. We have faeries, witches, demons, supernatural mice (adorable!) and more. It really thickens the plot because you aren't sure who are there to help or destroy. The story gets really interesting when Callie is with the side characters, not so much when she is with Liam. The side characters all have very interesting secrets, that they help move the story a lot.

       Now for my issues. This book was a little predictable. I had suspicions about the demon and I was correct. But the true villain did take me surprise and was pretty disturbing. My problem, as I said, is the ending. I know books don't always have the HEA, but after what he did, I was fuming. This isn't as big on the Paranormal Romance as you would think. This was more Urban Fantasy than anything. But even with this issue, I am curious about what will become of Callie. She makes a decision to join her snobby, racist grandmother at her exclusive club to learn more about herself. Callie has her moments, but I am happy she is not like her grandmother. The next book will be very interesting.

        But even with its issues, I enjoyed this. I wasn't bored and it did keep me on the edge of my seat. After going over it all, I was satisfied except for that ending. Words can't express how happy I am this is a series. This means we will have a chance to get the HEA we have been screaming for. I would recommend this book, but be cautious, there might be some bumps and bruises along the way. 


Rating:




*This book belongs to the following challenges*
BCC's Speculative Romance Reading Challenge 2012

4 comments:

  1. Awww the synopsis looked good, too bad it went the predictable way. I love villains! They bring a lot of layers to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh!I hated this book. I was so annoyed by the amount of things the author threw in this story. A supernatural overload! Great review though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Braine - It does sound great, but it needed to be put together better. Just a tad bit all over the place. Still not a bad read. I do want to read book 2. Rent at the library :)

    @DBookWhore - I know you were not a fan. It was a bit of an overload, but I still liked it. Hopefully book 2 is better.

    Thank you ladies for the awesome comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this book. I haven't read it yet. Awesome review hon!
    DeAnna

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D