CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Book Review: Lord of the Wolfyn (Royal House of Shadows #3) by Jessica Andersen


Author: Jessica Andersen
Series: Royal House of  Shadows
Number in Series: 3
Format: PDF (Netgalley)
Release Date: October 18, 2011
Pages: 282
Publisher: Harlequin Nocturne
Genre: Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy










Buy here


Synopsis from Goodreads 

Once upon a time…the Blood Sorcerer vanquished the kingdom of Elden.
To save their children, the queen scattered them to safety and the king filled them with vengeance.

Only a magical timepiece connects the four royal heirs…and time is running out.…

For practical Reda Weston, nothing could explain how reading a sexy version of "Little Red Riding Hood" catapulted her into another realm—face-to-fang with the legendary wolf-creature who seduced women. A wolf who transformed into a dark, virile man….

Dayn cursed the Sorcerer that turned him wolfyn and damned him to a lonely fate. As a beast, he mated with women to gain strength.

Strength he needed to rescue his royal parents. But as a man, he craved Reda's heated, sizzling touch. With little time left, Dayn had to either embrace his wolf to save his kingdom…or fight it to save his woman.
*********************************************

     Lord of the Wolfyn is the third installment in the Royal House of Shadows miniseries. We now follow the missing brother Dayn. Like his missing siblings, he has been cursed by the Blood Sorcerer. He is now a vampire who lives with the wolfyn. He lives in an alternate world of the Wolfyn. But his land is dying due to the Blood Sorcerer and Dayn needs to find someone who will guide him to his homeland, Elden. This is where Reda comes in. She reunites with a unique book of Little Red Riding Hood from her mother. With the help if this book and a phrase, the book sends her to Dayn to help save him and guide him. 

     I have never read anything from Jessica Andersen, but I after reading this, I am very curious about her work. She has a nice style and writes a lot of PNR, so I am adding her to my wishlist for sure. For those that don't know, this is a miniseries of 4 books. Each book is written by a different author and they are adult versions to the fairy tales we all grew up with. This was the adult version of  Little Red Riding Hood and it was a pretty nice read. 

     Our story is told through some interesting characters. We get to follow Dayn, another lost sibling thanks to the evil and power hungry Blood Sorcerer. Dayn knows of the other world, our world, and needs to find the woman that will guide him to his homeland. He believes it is the woman in his dreams. But he is a vampire hiding with the wolfyn. We have Reda who is the key for Dayn. She can't help but feel connected to Dayn because he reminds her of the woodsman in her book. Reda must guide him to Elden before time runs out. 

     I liked this story a lot. But so far, Lord Of Rage is the best one. Andersen did a great job writing a unique version of Little Red Riding Hood, but I wanted more. We have Reda and Dayn who are good characters, but needed a pick me up. Reda was a bit of a flip-flopper. She was indecisive about things throughout the book and it did get a little annoying. But she grew on me after a while. Dayn was a good hero, strong and sexy, but isn't a favorite. Also, I don't understand why it is called Lord of the Wolfyn when he was actually a vampire that can shapeshift. Why not just make him a werewolf? I love werewolves and found that a bit odd, cool, but I wish that was cleared up a bit.

      The plot starts of pretty strong. Both Dayn and Reda are destined to meet and guide each other to Elden. But it does slow down in the middle. I wish the pacing was a little faster. Also, the villain in the book sort of through me for a loop. It seemed a bit rushed and out of the blue for me. I also wanted a little more story about Reda's mother. Her mom knew what she would become and I wish we had a flashback or something between her and her mom.

      Overall, I liked the story. Like I said, I think Lord of Rage has conquered this series so far. But I would read all of these again.  Lord of the Wolfyn was a good read. I wasn't bored with it. It just needed to flow better, keep the adrenaline up a bit. Also need to work a bit on the characters. Not bad, but needed a little kick. 

Rating:




*********************************************

Check out my reviews for the previous books in the series:

*********************************************

*This book belongs to the following challenges*

2 comments:

  1. Hi sweetie. Great review. I have this lovely series on my bookshelve just waiting to be read. I have read the first book when it came out and like it. I thought it was intersting to have 4 different authors for this series. I have bought all everytime they came out. I really want to see how Nalini Singh does on the last one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Wickedly Delicious The first book was good, but I wanted a little more. I love the idea of this series though. I hope it gets done again. You will love Singh. Thanks for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D