CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Indie Book Review: Seeking a Scribe (Enchanted Bookstore Legend 1) by Marsha A. Moore

Author: Marsha A. Moore
Series: Enchanted Bookstore Legends
Number in Series: 1
Format: Ebook (ARC PDF)
Pages: 169
Release Date: March 15, 2012
Publisher: Self-published
Genre: Epic Fantasy/Paranormal Romance










Buy here:

Synopsis from Goodreads

Lyra McCauley is a writer and loves fantasy novels, but until she opens a selection from bookstore owner Cullen Drake, she has no idea he’s a wizard character who lives a double life inside that volume…or the story’s magic will compel her from the edge of depression to adventure, danger, and love.

His gift to Lyra, the Book of Dragonspeir, was actually her copy, misplaced years ago. Lost in her pain following divorce and death, she fails to recognize him as her childhood playmate from the fantasyland. Friendship builds anew. Attraction sparks. But Lyra doubts whether a wizard is capable of love. She’s torn—should she protect her fragile heart or risk new love?

Opening the book’s cover, she confronts a quest: save Dragonspeir from destruction by the Black Dragon before he utilizes power of August’s red moon to expand his strength and overthrow the opposing Imperial Dragon. Lyra accepts the challenge, fearing Cullen will perish if evil wins. Along with magical animal guides, Cullen helps her through many perils, but ultimately Lyra must use her own power…and time is running out.


     It was a simple day of just going to a bookstore when Lyra stumbled on Cullen. Lyra thinks he is handsome and charming. But after drinking some of his delicious tea, she quickly realizes he isn't normal and can't shake the feeling she has met him before. Cullen knows what she is feeling and tells her to come back for a book that will explain it all. When Lyra does, she finds that the book and the bookstore are enchanted. She ends up in a beautiful fantasy world named Dragonspeir that is endanger of being taken over by the Black Dragon. And only Lyra can stop him. She must write a book accurately recollected of her time in Dragonspeir and have someone read it before the Red Moon. If she doesn't, the Black Dragon will destroy Dragonspeir. Lyra isn't sure where to begin and if she has the power to do it. 

     Moore was very nice to have asked me to review this. I jumped on the opportunity because this is book sounded like a fantasy I always had. How incredible would it be to walk into a bookstore to get a book, but instead, the book comes to life for you? I love this. And I love it even more since it is packed with incredible and lovable characters to die for. 

     Lyra and Cullen have an instant connection in the book right from the first chapter. You can see they were made for each other. Cullen has known Lyra since was younger, but thought he was just a character from the fantasy book she had. Come to find out that book was made for her. Then you had Lyra's sweet Aunt Jean who is battling cancer. Lyra is always looking out for her and Lyra may be ill, but she has a great sense of humor in the book that will make you smile. But she was very tough and not easily frightened. Actually, she knee more about Lyra than Lyra knew about herself. 

     And the animals, oh boy the animals. This book is full of great talking animals that you will love instantly. My favorite was Noba, the pseudodragon. He was so sweet and adorable and very helpful. Kenzo was a tiger owl that was small, but definitely had a bit of an Napoleon complex. There was a unicorn that was actually quite the badass (that is by far the strangest thing I have said) and many more that make a huge impact on Lyra in the book. I applaud Moore for coming up with this world. It was truly epic. 

     I liked the story. I loved how we get to see both our world and Dragonspeir. We get an interesting plot in both worlds. Lyra needed to get to the dark realm to learn all she could about the Black Dragon. I like the idea of someone outside of Dragonspeir learning about the "fictional" world so the Black Dragon losses power in his world. Very interesting concept. There also seems to be a bigger connection between the two, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Might be just me. 

      I did have a little issue with the background stories. As much as I love our human characters, I don't feel like I wanted a little more history. For instance, we have Lyra. She has been recently divorced and finds it hard to tell Cullen what she feels for him. But we never learn what exactly happened between her and her ex-husband. We get a couple of things, he sounded like a jerk who didn't support her. But what was the final straw? Then again, I am sure she didn't want to talk about him. I also wish I knew more about Cullen and what has he been doing while waiting for Lyra. 

     Also want to mention one character in this book named Revelin that raised some suspicions. He oddly kept running into Lyra and happened to get into her house to help her aunt. He seemed a bit too enthusiastic about reading Lyra's book. He is brought up twice in the book and I can't shake the feeling he is going to have a bigger part in the future. I hope we learn something, anything about him. They are obviously attracted to each other even though Cullen is THE guy, but I feel there is a lot more going on with him and it isn't all just a coincidence. 

     But even with that, it doesn't take anything away from this story. In fact, it makes me anxious for more to come. So no hindrance at all.  Moore created such a great world that it left an impact on me. I was sad when the book ended because I wanted more. I love all the mystery in this book and some may be unsolved, but it leaves a lot to be discovered for book 2, Heritage Avenged, which I am dying for. I loved the romance in the book. There are two steamy scenes that I wanted to last a little longer, but without them, this book is quite PG-13. So if you are a prude, you will be safe. Definitely recommended for those who want an original and beautifully written epic fantasy.

Review:




*This book belongs to the following challenges*
BCC's Speculative Romance Reading Challenge 2012

6 comments:

  1. I haven't read much epic fantasy lately, I think I may give this a try. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you do. This book was a lot of fun. I think you will enjoy it. Thanks for the comment hon :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds great! Thanks for the review!

    I would love for you to come sign up for the Friday the 13th blog hop. Sign ups available now! Drop by and check it out.
    http://redheaded-bookworm.blogspot.com/2012/03/friday-13th-blog-hop-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it hon. Thank you so much. I would love to join the hop. It sounds amazing. I hope I can sign in for it. Since it is Friday the 13th, I think a good horror based book would work best. Maybe something with zombies. Thank you so much for the comment hon :)

      Delete
  3. Awesome review luv! Sounds like such an interesting plot. When i was young, i had a similar fantasy about enchanted books. very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much hon. It is a very great plot. I still have fantasies like that. Part of the reason I prefer to buy books at the bookstore instead of online, you never know LOL! Thank you for the comment hon :)

      Delete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D