CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Movie Review: Mission Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011)




Synopsis from IMDB

In the 4th installment of the Mission Impossible series, Ethan Hunt and his team are racing against time to track down a dangerous terrorist named Hendricks, who has gained access to Russian nuclear launch codes and is planning a strike on the United States. An attempt by the team to stop him at the Kremlin ends in a disaster, with an explosion causing severe destruction to the Kremlin and the IMF being implicated in the bombing, forcing the President to invoke Ghost Protocol, under which the IMF is disavowed, and will be offered no help or backup in any form. Undaunted, Ethan and his team chase Hendricks to Dubai, and from there to Mumbai, but several spectacular action sequences later, they might still be too late to stop a disaster.



     Well, let's get right into it. This is number 4 in the Mission Impossible series. I like the franchise, but they were missing a little something for me. This one definitely did added what I wanted. This was so refreshing because this wasn't the Ethan Hunt show anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love him, but there is a whole team to follow and this is the first one in the franchise that did follow the whole team, in my opinion. So this is by far, the best in the series.

      So Ghost Protocol brings us Ethan Hunt (Tom Cruise) and his new team They must take down a man who wants to nuke the world starting with America (why is it always us?!) After a botched job of trying to stop the villain, a man named Kurt Hendricks (Michael Nyqvist), from getting the codes that will start the nuke; the team is put on Ghost Protocol. This means they will get no help from the government. Everything they do or need will be solely from them and their resources. This, of course, makes things waaaay harder for the team especially since they must work quickly to take down Hendricks before he vaporizes the world.

       I really enjoyed this film a lot. The action, the crazy gadgets and the Jeremy Renner were plenty to keep me at the edge of my seat. The plot was fast paced and simple, but that is not a bad thing. I have seen plenty of spy films that make things so complicated, you lose track of something along the way. This had a beginning, a middle, and an end; and they were filled with plenty of action and laughs. And again, I like that the film focuses on the team and the way they work together. I think it made a huge difference in this movie. We see how they work with secrets and trust issues. That is what made a difference for me and I hope they keep that aspect in the new ones to come. I know there will be more.

       The characters are always a blast. We, of course, have Hunt (Tom Cruise) who definitely can still pull off a great action flick. Benji (Simon Pegg) was the tech geek and the comic relief. I am a huge Pegg fan and I have always looked forward to his scenes in every film he has been in. This was no exception. There was also the gorgeous Jane (Paula Patton) who was a great addition to this movie. Patton is always in romantic comedies, so it was so nice seeing her in something like this. And she kicked a lot of ass doing it. And, of course, the amazing, but totally underrated William (Jeremy Renner). I love him, but he doesn't get as many lead roles as he deserves. But there is talk of him taking Cruise's spot in this franchise and I think he will do a great job. Goodness, I love this guy!

        My only compliant is that we have maybe two or three villains in this movie and I didn't learn jack about them. I like getting to know the bad guys just a much as I like getting to know the good guys. It might be just me, but I can't just accept, "They're just crazy", as an excuse. I mean our main villain, Hendricks, we hear from him once in the movie from a tape. He is just rambling on about starting a new world and all, he definitely was crazy, but how did it get that far? I mean, it was televised, he was a man of power, no one caught on until now? I would have liked it more if it were more well rounded. It wasn't bad, but we barely see the man in the movie. There was also a female assassin, Sabine (Lea Seydoux) who I found very intriguing and badass. I would have liked more of her character. Her and Jane have a bit of a history and the fight between them ended way too quickly. I was a bit disappointed there.

        I would recommend this movie for anyone looking for a good action flick. And like I said, this is definitely the best one out of the series. It was very fun to watch and I didn't get bored. As a mater of fact, I watched it twice. So make sure to order it on OnDemand, since I am sure it is out of theaters by now.


Review:

2 comments:

  1. I am glad you liked this one. The Mission Impossible movies haven't really thrilled me in the past either. I am glad to hear that this isn't all about Tom Cruise's character this time. I agree getting to know a good villain and finding out what makes him tick is half the fun. I will have to catch this on DVD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review as usual Diana! I've only watched a couple of these. *shrugs* They're OK. I would not pay to see this in a movie theater though. I'll wait until it shows on HBO.
    DeAnna S.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D