CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Monday, April 23, 2012

Book Review: The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles #1) by Kady Cross

Author: Kady Cross
Series: Steampunk Chronicles
Number in Series: 1
Format: Hardback
Release Date: May 24, 2011
Pages: 473
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Genre: Paranormal Romance/Young Adult/Steampunk/Historical Fiction/Science Fiction










Buy here:


Synopsis from IndieBound

In 1897 England, sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne has no one…except the "thing" inside her

When a young lord tries to take advantage of Finley, she fights back. And wins. But no normal Victorian girl has a darker side that makes her capable of knocking out a full-grown man with one punch.

Only Griffin King sees the magical darkness inside her that says she's special, says she's one of them. The orphaned duke takes her in from the gaslit streets, against the wishes of his band of misfits. And Finley thinks she might finally be a part of something, finally fit in—until a criminal mastermind known as the Machinist threatens to tear the group apart….

********************************************* 

      The Girl in the Steel Corset is about a 16-year-old girl named Finley. On the surface, she is nothing but a servant who has had some unfortunate run-ins with past masters. But actually she is possessed. Finley knows something is wrong with her and thinks she is a freak because of the girl that possesses her. Whoever she is, she is very strong. Super strong. So after a near tragic run in with her master, Finley runs for her life only to run into (well, run over by) a young man, a Duke, named Griffin. He knows instantly that Finley isn't normal because he isn't either. He takes Finley into his mansion where he is surrounded by extraordinary people. And he wants Finley a part of his team to take down someone terrorizing London.
     I am quite new to the Steampunk genre. I absolutely love it. The style, the technology, the era; it is hard not to be captivated by it. And that couldn't be more true for Girl in the Steel Corset. I fell in love with everything in this book. It is bursting with personality, energy, robots, cylons (for us BSG fans), suspense, and so much more. The book is just as eye popping as its cover.

      Finley was a great heroine. She was definitely scared of her other self, but I love that she still keeps her head on and had a lot of fire. I love that her other self protects them whenever a threat arises. I love that Griffin doesn't treat her any differently. I love that he treats everyone equally and he bends over backwards for his friends and family. I loved Sam. I felt so sorry for him given what has happened to him and what he is. He definitely had a lot of anger and took that out on Finley, but I didn't hate him for it.

      A favorite was actually the super genius Emily. She was so adorable and wasn't afraid of anyone even though everyone was taller than her. I loved Jasper; the flirtatious American cowboy. He will definitely put a smile on your face. The next book will be about trying to save him actually, so I am hoping we get some more story about him. I think my absolute favorite was Jack Dandy. Even though Griffin is the guy Finley swoons over, her and Dandy also had great chemistry. The problem is that Dandy is a criminal. Well, not like a big criminal, but not overall bad. I am very curious as to what his part will be in book 2. I think he plays a bigger role in things. A very intriguing character.

      I love the story. They aren't sure where their powers come from. But they discover it could be from something their parents lost their lives for. There is also a chance this mystery is connected to the machine man; the man that is out to destroy England. He builds automatons that conveniently go insane and kill anyone in their paths. I loved how this story flowed. It really left me on the edge of my seat until the very end.

      I highly recommend this. If you are new to Steampunk or haven't read it before, start with this. The technology and mechanics are so cool and lots of fun. Cross did a beautiful job describing the fashion and the era. Adding that with all the machinery, everything was so vivid and imaginative. Since every YA book is becoming a movie now I think Hollywood should get their hands on this. This world would look spectacular on the big screen. Not to mention there aren't a lot of Steampunk movies out there. This would be perfect. This is going on my favorites list and I hope it will be on yours as well. 


Rating:




*This book belongs to the following challenges* 
BCC's Speculative Romance Reading Challenge 2012

1 comment:

  1. I've really been starting to get into this genre myself. :) I have really been enjoying it. And seeing this book when it came out, I wanted it, still want it. :) Thank you for the amazing review, and reminder I need this one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D