CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Friday, April 27, 2012

Book Review: Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin #1) by Robin LaFevers

Author: Robin LaFevers
Series: His Fair Assassin
Number in Series: 1
Format: PDF (Netgalley)
Release Date: April 03, 2012
Pages: 528
Publisher: Houghton Miffin Harcourt
Genre: Paranormal Romance/Young Adult/Historical Fiction/Mystery











Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?

Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.

Ismae's most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?

*********************************************
     Grave Mercy is about a young woman named Ismae who has been dealt a terrible hand in life. She is the spawn of a demon. Her mother was so scared of what she would become, she hired a witch to create a poison that would kill her before she was born, but it didn't take. Instead it left her horribly scarred. But her horrendous father has married her off to a brutal man that finds out what she is. Ismae escapes him and ends up with the convent of St. Mortain.

      It is here she is taught to serve the god of Death and learns of many ways to kill to fulfill his wishes. She is to become an assassin. That is right, a nun assassin. She has passed a couple of tests, but to stay at the convent, she must pass her biggest challenge. She must find who is trying to betray the duchess of Brittany. It is harder than she expected given it to be. Not to mention serving Mortain is a bit more complicated than she or the convent thinks.

      Ismae is definitely going on my great heroines list. She is a no-nonsense kind of woman. She knows how to be deadly and know how to do do it quietly. She did scare me a time or two. But I love that there is still a certain innocence about her. She was quite the character. I am a huge fan of Gavriel Duval. As a matter of fact, he is my new book boyfriend. He is honorable and would bend over backwards for his sister Anne, who is set to be the next duchess. He let Ismae see that things are not as black and white as the convent led her to believe. They were an exceptional team and I love the chemistry. Romance isn't the forefront of the book, but it was no less amazing. It wasn't instant, it grew page by page. I loved it.

      I loved Anne, Duval's sister. She was so young, but truly wise beyond her years. I love the relationship she forms with Duval's family. Even when it comes to the ones who have tried to stab him in the back. I also loved Duval's right-hand men, Beast and de Lornay, especially Beast. They really would do anything for Duval. Definitely men you would want to have your back. I am definitely curious about Sybella. She was a sister at the convent who has seemingly escaped. Her mind seems to have been broken, but she was way ahead of Ismae and helped her throughout. Her story will be told in book 2, so I am more than excited to read it.

      The plot was absolutely mind-boggling. I love the idea of a nun assassin fighting for her country. Trying to figure out the traitor is was a riot. Usually I am good at figuring it out way ahead of time, but not here. This is a story that will keep you on your toes until the end.

      I honestly didn't know what to expect with this book. But it definitely surpassed my expectations and will be going on my Favorites list. A story full of mystery, political intrigue, and murder. You will blast through this book. This is more for mature YA I think. But still can be enjoyed by YA fans and adults alike. I don't read a lot of political thrillers and even if political thrillers aren't your thing, I think this book will change your mind. It certainly did for me. Grave Mercy was an unexpected page-turner. I truly couldn't put this book down. Make sure to grab your copy today.


Rating:




*This book belongs to the following challenges*
Babbling About Books and Stuff's Ghostly Reading Challenge 2012!
BCC's Speculative Romance Challenge 2012

1 comment:

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D