CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Friday, April 27, 2012

Book Review: Horizon (Aftertime #3) by Sophie Littlefield

Author: Sophie Littlefield
Series: Aftertime
Number in Series: 3
Format: PDF (Netgalley)
Release Date: January 24, 2012
Pages: 384
Publisher: Luna
Genre: Dystopian/Romance/Urban Fantasy/Post-Apocalyptic/Horror











Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

Cass Dollar is a survivor. She's overcome the meltdown of civilization, humans turned mindless cannibals, and the many evils of man.

But from beneath the devastated California landscape emerges a tendril of hope. A mysterious traveler arrives at New Eden with knowledge of a passageway North—a final escape from the increasingly cunning Beaters. Clutching this dream, Cass and many others decamp and follow him into the unknown.

Journeying down valleys and over barren hills, Cass remains torn between two men. One—her beloved Smoke—is not so innocent as he once was. The other keeps a primal hold on her that feels like Fate itself. And beneath it all, Cass must confront the worst of what's inside her—dark memories from when she was a Beater herself. But she, and all of the other survivors, will fight to the death for the promise of a new horizon….

*********************************************
     The final book in one of my favorite reads definitely ended with a bang. Cass and the other survivors have found a new camp, New Eden. Things are as good as they can be. Cass has her daughter and is working with the plants that are essential to the camp's survival. Smoke is in recovery after the huge take down in Rebirth (click for review)and people are surviving as best they can. Of course, they are not perfect, especially Cass. Cass is having an affair with Dor even though they both are with someone else. Unfortunately, Sammi finds out and things take things for a turn. Add that to the fact that Beaters (zombies) are more determined to get to them and there is a mysterious group of men who are willing to help them. But at what cost?

      Littlefield has done it again. I am so in love with this series. As much as I hate that it is over, it ended on a high note and left me in awe. Horizon is definitely on my Best Reads of 2012.

       Cass has been to hell and back and she is more than a survivor, she is a warrior. And that couldn't be more clear in this book. She fights with all she has for those she cares about including a character I can't bring up, but certainly surprised the hell out of me. Smoke is in recovery in this book, but that doesn't change anything. He is still thinking ahead. Dor is protecting Cass and I like that we more of how capable he is with a group. Sammi even has a little bigger part in this. She is angry as hell at what is going on between Dor and Cass. I think she was out of line quite a bit in the book, but I felt bad for her. I can't imagine how it must be like being a teenage girl whose life has been snatched from underneath you.

       The plot was once again epic and flawless. I loved it. Littlefield knows how to write a story that consistently puts you on edge. Such an adrenaline rush. The Beaters are not only determined as I have mentioned, but they are advancing. At their new camp, what is keeping them safe is the fact they are on an island and Beaters can't swim. Now, they have learned and they are once again on the run. They run into a group of men who may or may not be trustworthy. But they have a plan that could save their lives and may be a new beginning for them.

       I also love that we finally learn how Cass survived. In Aftertime (click for review), she just woke up after being a Beater. How is it that she turned into a Beater and why she ended up where she did? What did she do when she was Beater? We also get Smoke's story as well. We know he has a knack for putting his life on the line for people and his story explains why. I knew it was big, but trust me, it is bigger than you would think. He plays quite a role in the scheme of things that left me speechless. A definite "Oh shit" moment.

       Highly recommended for zombie and non-zombie fans alike. This is such a beautiful and powerful story. It ended well and was unforgettable. This is a story you have to check out. A real work of art.  


Rating: 
 +1



*This book belongs to the following challenges* 
BCC's Zombie Challenge 2012 

3 comments:

  1. Again another series that i have to check out since you gave it 5 stars!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Braine - This is one of my favorite series. It is such a great read. Littlefield's storytelling is incredible and hard not to love. Hope you start them soon. Thanks for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness! I have to say I wish I had time to add this series to my shelves. I'm not a zombie reader, but this sounds like an amazing read. I need to get through some of what I have here first though. :) Thank you for that amazing review!

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D