CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Book Review: Lord of the Abyss (Royal House of Shadows #4) by Nalini Singh


Author: Nalini Singh
Series: Royal House of Shadows
Number in Series: 4
Format: PDF (Netgalley)/Paperback
Release Date: November 15, 2011
Pages: 281
Publisher: Harlequin Nocturne
Genre: Paranormal Romance










 Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads 

Once upon a time…the Blood Sorcerer vanquished the kingdom of Elden. To save their children, the queen scattered them to safety and the king filled them with vengeance. Only a magical timepiece connects the four royal heirs…and time is running out.…

As the dark Lord who condemns souls to damnation in the Abyss, Micah is nothing but a feared monster wrapped in impenetrable black armor. He has no idea he is the last heir of Elden, its last hope. Only one woman knows—the daughter of his enemy.

Liliana is nothing like her father, the Blood Sorcerer who’d cursed Micah. She sees past Micah’s armor to the prince inside. A prince whose sinful touch she craves. But first she has to brave his dark, dangerous lair and help him remember. Because they only have till midnight to save Elden.

********************************************* 

     Lord of the Abyss follows the youngest lost sibling, Micah. He unfortunately was punished the worst. He was just a toddler when he was separated from his family and land in Elden. Now 20 years later, he is cursed as the dark Lord. He is the dark Lord who sends souls into the Abyss. He is so dark and cold, he is consumed by armor that is impenetrable. He is feared by everyone, no one dares to cross him, except for Liliana. 

      She is a strong woman who knows how to take torture. Her father is the Blood Sorcerer himself, who has abused her since the day she was born. He is also the man who cursed Micah and his entire family. Liliana knows Micah is the key to stop her father's terrible reign because he is powerful enough. But she has to help Micah remember who he is; that he is a Prince of Elden. She doesn't have long to convince him though because Elden is about to truly fall. 

     YEEEEESSSSS!!! I have read all the previous books in this series and while they were good, they were missing something. And that something was Nalini Singh. I was counting on Singh to give me that oomph I needed and she didn't disappoint. I had to wait a while until I got this book from Netgalley and I just ended up buying it instead. And since my life is a sitcom, the day I bought it was the day I got approval from Netgalley. Oh Life, you never cease to amaze me. Nonetheless, this was money well spent. 

     Singh always creates characters that leave you in awe. Micah was just WOW! Great vocabulary there. But I can't think of anything else. He was scary, I mean scary to the point I couldn't find him attractive sometimes. But you slowly see there is something in him and it was quite the journey seeing him get pulled out of the darkness. Liliana isn't your typical PNR heroine. She isn't the standard gorgeous. It is described that her nose is pointy enough to look like a beak and she is a little thin. Even though both characters have their flaws, I love how they saw something in each other. 

     I love how Liliana stands up for herself in this book. After suffering so many years of abuse from her evil father, she doesn't take crap from anyone. I love that even though she is the daughter of the Blood Sorcerer and tortured by him day-in and day-out, she is incredibly gentle to everyone and everything. Micah likes that she doesn't treat him like a monster even though it is what his job entails. I love this amazing take on Beauty and the Beast. Singh, you have done it again. 

    The story flowed well. We have plenty of life from our lead characters and side characters I loved Jissa, Micah's former cook who he saved. I love all the back story we get; well mainly through Liliana. Micah can't remember his past and every time he does, he goes nuts. But still, Liliana and Micah are characters worth rooting for. The plot is well paced. I love how this was both about the fight and the romance. The book was well balanced. My only complaint was the final battle. I wish it lasted a little longer, but I am so satisfied with everything else.

    This series overall was good, but didn't knock my out of my seat. This did however. They definitely saved the best for last in my opinion. I love Nalini Singh and her work, if you haven't caught that by now. I was depending on this book to wrap this series up on a high note and it did. It was sexy, made me smile, and I couldn't put it down. Highly recommended. If anything, just jump to this book, they go over the story in this anyway.

Rating:




*********************************************

Check out the reviews for the previous books in the series:

*********************************************

*This book belongs to the following challenges*

3 comments:

  1. This was by far my favorite book in the series. I loved that Micah and Liliana were not the typical pairing. WOW is definitely a great way to describe Micah :-D


    Paranormal Haven

    ReplyDelete
  2. As always lovely review. Ok you make me want to start this series soon. I think this is moving on up on Bought TBR list. Nalini Singh is just amazing author with a beauitful writng voice. She is master storyteller. If this novel is as good as your review then that is awesome they saved it for last to end the series in a bang.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Wickedly Delicious Thanks a million hon. That is awesome. I hope you do check it out. Singh is one of my favorite authors. Her storytelling and her characters are just out of this world. I hope you love it as much as I do. Thank you for the comment hon :D

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D