CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Friday, April 27, 2012

Indie Book Review: The Foul Mouth and the Cat Killing Coyotes (The King Henry Tapes #2) by Richard Raley

Author: Richard Raley
Series: The King Henry Tapes
Number in Series: 2
Format: ePub
Release Date: March 12, 2012
Pages: 214
Publisher: Self-published
Genre: Paranormal/Urban Fantasy/Humor











Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

King Henry Price, honored and learned graduate of the Institution of Elements, has settled back into his normal life, running his Artificer shop, creating new designs, selling old ones, and ignoring the occasional explosion when testing goes haywire. He's been minding his own business...only when he happens across a bunch of bullies picking on a woman, he can't resist the opportunity to smash faces, can he?

King Henry never expected the bullies would be part of the Coyote Nation, he never expected that he could be starting a war, and he surely never expected one of his lost sisters would be on the other side.

Jordan Josephine Price...found you at las
t.

*********************************************
    In the sequel of The King Henry Tapes series, King Henry is back and has managed to really step in it. After playing hero to save a woman being harassed in a parking lot by a group of men, he quickly finds out that the men aren't human. They are Were coyotes. And King Henry thinks nothing of it until he finds out their leader is so fearsome, even his mentor Ceinwyn is afraid of them. And what is worse? His sister Jojo, who he hasn't seen in years, is married to the big bad coyote. But before he can save her from him, the Coyotes have something planned for King Henry as payback.

     I really enjoyed this book just a much as the first one. King Henry is still his same old self; a smart ass, rude, and still jumping the gun. As I said with book 1, I love the idea of him recollecting his life at the Asylum. The story of the camping trip was great and funny. Scary, but still funny. There was something about that camping trip that reminded me of an episode of Naruto. It made me love it more. I love how King Henry is suspicious of anything and anyone and he has plenty of reason to be.

     I love that we get more of King Henry's friend Tyson or T-Bone as King Henry calls him. Tyson hates it which is all the more reason he does it. I wondered through this book and Tyson asked it as well; why are they friends? King Henry always has some geek or racist joke in store for Tyson and he doesn't tell him everything specifically the vital information. But throughout the book and especially near the end there is such a great dynamic and understanding between them, it is actually nice. Not a word I would use to describe King Henry, but it is true. I also like when going through the past, he has the same kind of relationship with Pocket. I hope to see him with grown up King Henry. Well as grown as King Henry can get.

      This was such a great story. The whole possibility of war. Mancers and coyotes have a certain kind of peace between them. And it takes King Henry just a couple days to threaten that and start a war, all for his sister. King Henry and his assumptions makes you think of how he  has survived this long. But I loved where this went. I love that Raley makes his fight scenes so action packed and funny. Goodness, this would make such an awesome movie.

       I can't wait for book 3. When we finally meet the coyote leader, Horatio Vega, you aren't sure about what makes him scary. But there is something about him that rubs you wrong way. And when you learn why he is so scary, you will be shouting "Shit!". It is not pretty. I am also very curious about the fairy that contacts King Henry when he is younger. It keeps warning him about the wind and wants to protect him. I wish we got more as to why it chose him and why it wants to protect him. But that is a mystery that I am dying to have uncovered. So it is very suspenseful for me.

      I am a huge fan of this series. It is so entertaining. Raley definitely has a way with words. I already have some quotes highlighted in this book I plan to live by. And again, the mancy idea is so fresh and cool. It is nice to have some fresh blood in the supernatural world. As I said with book 1, Raley's idea of vampires is so unique. And his take on Weres is just as original and fresh. I love it! So if you are looking for something truly unique and out of the box, start this series today.  You won't regret it.

 
Rating:



*********************************************

Check review for book 1 here:

*********************************************

*This book belongs to the following challenges*
BCC's Horror & Urban Fantasy Reading Challenge 2012

2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this series but it sounds so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Braine - It is an amazing series! You should give it a try. The first book is only $1 right now. I think you would like it. Thanks for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D