CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

July Releases

Friday, May 11, 2012

Book Review: Kiss of Death (The Morganville Vampires #8) by Rachel Caine

Author: Rachel Caine
Series: The Morganville Vampires
Number in Series: 8
Format: ePub
Release Date: April 27, 2010
Pages: 241
Publisher: Signet
Genre:Paranormal Romance/Young Adult/Urban Fantasy/Horror











Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

Claire Danvers has a few things on her mind. First of all there is the laundry, which is now an unfortunate shade of pink. Then there is her boyfriend, Shane, who is never too far from her thoughts. Finally there is her best friend Eve’s relationship problems. As if life as a student wasn’t complicated enough, Claire just happens to be studying in Morganville. A town run by vampires.

Trouble seems to follow Claire and her friends like a shadow and tonight is no exception to the rule. They must find the most difficult documents for a vampire to acquire; people passes that will allow “bad ass” Morley and his friends to leave Morganville. But it’s proving incredibly difficult, and with the odds seemingly stacked against them, the biggest question of all is...

Will they survive?

*********************************************

     This has got be to one of my favorite YA series. It manages to be scary, sweet, and funny all at once. Quite a combo, right? This is definitely one of my favorites so far in the series. I had a blast with this one. It had a great classic horror flick feel to it. I couldn't get scenes of Texas Chainsaw Massacre out of my head, just with vampires. Oh that would be awesome.

     Claire, Shane, Eve and Michael are back. The gang is tighter than ever, they are more in love than ever and want to leave Morganville more than ever. They have been lucky enough (well, unlucky) to be given the chance to leave Morganville. Michael has been given the chance to showcase his music in Dallas. But of course there are strings and these strings have long, pointy teeth.

     I love this group. Eve and Michael have grown so much together despite Michael being the only vampire. Actually there was a scene later on in the book that lets you know just how serious it is and it was sad. Caine definitely did a great job focusing on that and I am both scared and happy about their future. I love that Shane and Claire are so in love as well. Shane can be a jerk, but not to the point I want to slap him. What I love most is how much Claire has grown individually. She has become her own person at such a young age. When things are nuts and chaotic, she is the one with the plan and gets things done. But I love Eve the most. With all the craziness going on, she finds a way to split your sides. I nearly lost it when they were arriving at the motel. Mainly because it was true. Definitely need to lay off the horror movies.

     Most disappointing about this book was the lack of Myrnin, my Myrnin! I love his crazy antics and all the weird things that come out of his.mouth that it is hard to believe (and scary to believe) he is serious. But we get a little and it was well...Myrnin.

     I really enjoyed the villains. Well they aren't bad, but they aren't good either. We have Oliver, who has to be the chaperon of the trip. We have Morley who threatened Claire in the last book to get her to gain his freedom or else. He is such an odd character. One second, he is on a murderous rampage, the next he is super charming. I actually liked where things went with him which is odd because I want to hate him. But it felt like him and Oliver came to a certain respect for each other, it was nice. And most surprising of all, Jason, Eve's trouble-making, junkie brother. He actually wanted to make amends in this book. Given all that he has done to them, I didn't blame them for their reactions, but still, he is trying.

     Like I said, this had a great horror flick vibe to it. The kids go on a roadtrip and end up in a tiny town where they stick out like sore thumbs. This causes them to run into trouble everywhere they turn. It is nothing compared to the trouble they run into which was being kept a secret from them. And given the magnitude and potential catastrophe, it definitely ranks high on the most-likely-to-die list. This was such a great read. I love where the story went when they were in the city of Blacke. They are so use to the vampires in Morganville and its rules, they never thought about how bad it might be for others. Morganville isn't Heaven, but they definitely got the better end of the deal.

      I had a lot of fun with this. Kiss of Death reminded me why I love this series so much. Caine continues to come up with great stories that put you on the edge of your seat. Her characters continue to grow with each book and watching how well they click is such fun. Kiss of Death is a great page-turner and this series will forever stay on my Favorites list.


Rating:




*This book belongs to the following challenges*
BCC's Speculative Romance Challenge 2012

1 comment:

  1. Your reviews always standouts above most others. I wish I could do that. Amazing review! I really need to catch-up with this series. I've really been trying to get to it. Hopefully soon. I don't know why but I always imagine them...Claire, Shane, Micheal and Eve as the Mystery Incorporated-Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy and Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! *giggles* I just love them. My favorite is Scooby-Doo of course. lol Can you tell I've just (literally) woken up with only a sip of coffee so far? And no I haven't watched any Saturday morning cartoons either. OK. Time to go. I'm sure your laughing at me by now. l8r
    DeAnna S.

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D