CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Night Sky Blog Tour - Book Review: Night Sky by Jolene Perry

Author: Jolene Perry
Format: ePub
Release Date: March 1, 2012
Pages: 247
Publisher: Tribute Books
Genre:Young Adult/Contemporary Romance















Buy here


Synopsis from Goodreads

Girl I’ve loved, girl I’m falling for. Now that they’re both in view, the problem is clear.

After losing Sarah, the friend he’s loved, to some other guy, Jameson meets Sky. Her Native American roots, fluid movements, and need for brutal honesty become addictive fast. This is good. Jameson needs distraction – his dad leaves for another woman, his mom’s walking around like a zombie, and Sarah’s new boyfriend can’t keep his hands off of her.

As he spends time with Sky and learns about her village, her totems, and her friends with drums - she's way more than distraction. Jameson's falling for her fast.

But Sky’s need for honesty somehow doesn’t extend to her life story – and Jameson just may need more than his new girl to keep him distracted from the disaster of his senior year.

*********************************************


    Now contemporary romance isn't the first genre I gravitate towards. Hell, it isn't my second or third especially when teens are involved. But I must say, this was quite exceptional. Perry has written a great coming of age story that felt very real, romantic and mysterious.

    I love our lead character Jameson or Jay. I wish I found a guy like him in high school. The story is told from his point of view and i loved that. Perry did a great job telling this from a guy's perspective. Jay is so crushed because the girl he is in love with, Sarah, is with some jerky jock. He then meets this beautiful girl named Sky. She is a college freshman who is very outgoing and knows what she wants. I love that her boldness and laying-it-on-the-table attitude helps Jameson become more of his own. He made a great transition in this book and I really like that. This book reminds you that you should be with someone that brings out the better in you and not leave you sulking (*cough* Sarah *cough*)

    But even though he is falling for Sky, he still has feelings for Sarah. Sky knows this and wants to make sure he understands what he wants first. I love that she never acted like some crazy, jealous school girl. Made me like and respect her more. I was unsure of her at first given how they met, but her views on the world and overall personality will make you love her. But while Jameson is dealing with these new and exciting feelings, he is also dealing with the new feeling of abandonment. His mother and father aren't speaking anymore and his dad moved out. Jameson, of course, takes this blow very hard. Jameson, his mother and father were so close and seeing this huge wedge his dad left between them all was so heartbreaking.

    I love that Perry didn't add in the love triangle which always seems inevitable with YA books. Like I said Sky was amazing. But while reading, I didn't understand why Jameson loved Sarah in the first place. Honestly, I thought she was a bit of a flake. And there is a part in the end of the book that proves my point. She doesn't give Jay the respect he deserves and she sort of threw hers out the window. It is sad their friendship was going down the drain, but it was a good thing when you get down to it.

    What got me most was the twist near the end. I never would have seen that coming at all. We find out that Sky has a very painful past and she is still trying to break out of it. She is Native American from a tribe in Alaska that does things a little differently. She is fighting her family throughout this book because of her past. But it turns out it is a bit bigger than we thought. I think this book would have been just as amazing if it were told from Sky's point-of-view because she definitely has a lot of depth and character.

     If you are like me and you live and breathe Sci-fi, I would still recommend this to you. This book really did grab my attention and went beyond the realm of contemporary romance. Perry is definitely going on my list of authors to watch. It is a book full of love lost and found. A book about life and the curve balls it throws at your guts. A book that demonstrates how easy it is for any of us to fall, but where we do is completely up to us. A beautifully written book for teens and adults alike. Highly recommended! 


Rating: 




*This book belongs to the following challenge*  
BCC's 100 Books In A Year Reading Challenge 2012 

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this book too. I don't read a whole lot of contemporary either, but by the end I found myself really liking Jameson, and Sky was someone I really wish I knew in real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Jameson and I am so with yoi, if Sky were real, I would love to know her in real life. So strong considering all she has been through. Thanks a million for the comment hon :)

      Delete
  2. Diana, thanks for the review.

    Meradeth, good to see you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tribute Books - No problem hon. Thank you for having me on board :) Thanks for the comment :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D