CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Aristeia Blog Tour: Interview and Blog Contest with Wayne Basta

Hello my fellow Vagabonds! Please give a warm welcome to sci-fi author Wayne Basta. Basta is here with us today to promote his book A Little Rebellion, book 2 in his Aristeia series. So join us and find out more of his love for science fiction and find out how you can win some amazing prizes!





OBVB: Hello Wayne! Welcome to Offbeat Vagabond. To start off, will you tell us a bit about yourself?

WB: I’m a geek and always have been. I’ve got a lovely wife and a 3month old son. I used to teach high school and work in the education field before becoming a full time writer and father.

OBVB: When did you realize you wanted to be a writer?

WB: I’ve always wanted to write in some form. For most of my life it was just a hobby but in college I started thinking about actually finishing a novel. Never really went anywhere until end of 2010, when I decided I hated my job and wanted to do something I could be proud of.

OBVB: Which authors inspired you the most to write? Anyone's style you are envious of?

WB: Every writer whose books I’ve enjoyed has inspired me in some fashion. There are to many there to name. For the “Aristeia” series in particular, Timothy Zahn’s Star Wars trilogy had some inspiration. It showed that you could take fun action filled space opera like Star Wars and add in deeper plot and characters than you see in the movie. Not only does it work, but it makes it better.
Many others, such as Douglas Adams, Peter David and Terry Pratchett inspired me to add a bit of wit and humor to my writing. Even when the story isn’t quite like most of their writings. 

OBVB: When did your love for science fiction start? Any books or movies that have left a lasting impression?

WB: I’ve loved sci-fi as far back as I can remember. My Dad introduced it to me. I remember watching Star Trek: The Next Generation with him while I was a kid. That probably left the most lasting impression.

OBVB: The sequel to your Aristeia series, A Little Rebellion, just released. For those that don’t know, can you tell us what the series is about?

WB: The Aristeia series is set a few hundred years into the future. They focus on a sector of space that is exists in a political environment not to unlike the American Revolutionary period. The trilogy follows the course of an uprising that takes place on these colony worlds, sparked by the actions of some of our main characters. 
Each book features one of the characters facing their aristeia moment; the point in a dramatic work where a hero faces their greatest challenge. The first book follows Maarkean on a journey that tests his principles and loyalty, as he is torn between his sister and the Alliance, a government he swore to protect and defend.  The second, Saracasi as she comes to terms with the consequences of the rebellion she wanted to spark, occurring. 

OBVB: The covers of your books are amazing. Did you have any say in putting them together?

WB: The covers were done by an amazing artist named Oliver Wetter, http://fantasio.info/. He did amazing work in getting my characters to look exactly as they are supposed to look.
I had a tremendous amount of say in their development, as I worked directly with Oliver in their creation. That was one of the primary reasons I decided to go with Grey Gecko Press rather than self-publishing or pursuing a contract with one of the “Big 6” publishers. 

OBVB: I love the characters in your book; I am a big fan of Saracasi. Which character is your favorite? Anyone you thought was more fun to write?

WB: Thank you. I’m really pleased with the way she turned out. It’d be hard for me to peg down a favorite character, they all have aspects I enjoy. Zeric is probably the most fun to write overall. The relaxed “come what may” way he views the world around him, especially compared to the others, is a nice contrast.
 
OBVB: If your series were to become a TV show or a movie, who do you see playing your characters?

WB: I’d love to see the series as a movie or tv show; if it was done right. As for people to play the characters, I’ve thought Sam Witwer would do well as Maarkean. He has right face and skin tone. Felicia Day would make a good Saracasi. Not really sure who would make a good Zeric.

Sam Witwer

Felicia Day aka Geek Goddess!

OBVB: How did you come up with the idea of the Aristeia series?

WBThe origins for the series come from quite a number of places. Some of the characters were originally based on characters friends created for some MMO’s and RPG’s. Many elements of the plot and the world setting are based on my love of history. All of it just kind of combined together as I began writing.
 OBVB: Can you tell us anything about book 3 of your Aristeia series, Tree of Liberty?
   
       WB: You’ll get to see more of the galaxy than just the Kreogh  sector;   including the Dotran Confederacy.
    
OBVB: Last but not least, besides the Aristeia series, do you have any other projects up your sleeve?
  
    WB: Lots of ideas, but no current projects. Aside from the occasional short story, I find it bet to focus on one book at a time. That said, as soon as the first beta version of book 3 is done, I’ll probably get started on something completely new. There will still be several months of edits to do, but primary writing time will open to begin a new project. I just need to pick which of the many ideas to work on next. 

OBVB: Thank you so much for visiting Offbeat Vagabond


******************************************

About Wayne Basta

As a child, Wayne Basta was introduced to science fiction at a young age by his father. Mainstream hits like Star Trek and Star Wars were followed by old Tom Swift novels and then classics like Asimov and Clarke. Growing up on Florida's space coast only served to fuel his imagination and love of space, science and adventure.

At the age of 9, his family got their first home computer, an old Macintosh Plus, and he immediately used it to start writing science fiction adventure stories. He continued writing as a hobby all the way through college at the University of Florida, where he initially pursued a career in the US Navy until an injury changed his plans. Wayne then spent several years teaching high school and working in the education non-profit sector before coming back to his old dream of writing.

Wayne currently lives in Houston with his wife, son, and dog. He remains a fan of geek culture, board games, video games, fantasy, science fiction and all around silliness.
  

More on Basta here

******************************************
  

Amazon | B&N | Grey Gecko Press | Kobo

Amazon | B&N | Grey Gecko Press

From now until June 15th, I will be running a contest in which you can win the following:
1.               My publisher, GreyGecko Press, has offered to contribute a hardback copy of every book currently in publication (Dying of the Light: End, Aristeia: Revolutionary Right, Aristeia: A Little Rebellion, A Fancy Dinner Party)
2.               A signed hardback copy of both Aristeia: Revolutionary Right and Aristeia: A Little Rebellion.
3.               A signed hardback copy of Aristeia: A Little Rebellion
4.               A signed paperback copy
5.               An ebook copy
6.               An ebook copy of my short stories “Lonesome” and “Peace Meal

Winners will be chosen via random drawing from among all participants. How can you enter, you ask? There are several ways. For each of the following that you do, you will be entered into the drawing.  You can enter as many times as you like.
·                  Leave a relevant comment on my blog (http://waynebasta.com) during the remainder of the contest. That’s it, make a comment that contributes to a day’s given blog discussion and you’re entered. (No spam posts you dirty spammers)
·                  Participate in the Aristeia Blog Tour.  This will net you 5 entries.
·                  Participate in the Pre-Launch Purchase Blitz. This will net you 5 entries.
·                  Tweet about the book to your friends on Twitter. Use the hashtag #Aristeia.  (Max 5 Tweets over the contests run per entry, I don’t want to be the cause of Twitter Spam. But you also one entry per retweet your tweet gets)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D