CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Friday, June 15, 2012

Knee Deep Blog Tour - Book Review: Knee Deep by Jolene Perry

Author: Jolene B. Perry
Format: ePub
Release Date: May 1, 2012
Pages: 197
Publisher: Tribute Books
Genre:Young Adult/Contemporary Romance















Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

Shawn is the guy Ronnie Bird promised her life to at the age of fourteen. He's her soul mate. He's more uptight every day, but it's not his fault. His family life is stressful, and she's adding to it. She just needs to be more understanding, and he'll start to be the boy she fell in love with. She won’t give up on someone she’s loved for so long.

Luke is her best friend, and the guy she hangs with to watch girlie movies in her large blanketopias. He's the guy she can confide in before she even goes to her girlfriends, and the guy who she's playing opposite in Romeo and Juliet. Now her chest flutters every time he gets too close. This is new. Is Ronnie falling for him? Or is Juliet? The lines are getting blurry, but leaving one guy for another is not something that a girl like Ronnie does.

Shawn’s outbursts are starting to give her bruises, and Luke’s heart breaks as Ronnie remains torn. While her thoughts and feelings swirl around the lines between friendship and forever, she’s about to lose them both.

*********************************************

    Knee Deep is definitely going on my favorite reads of 2012 list. It was daring enough to cover something I think all girls should know about and did it in such a way, I couldn't put this down. This is a page-turner that I believe everyone especially young girls should keep close by.

    We have a story that starts off with a girl named Ronnie. She is sneaking off to see her boyfriend Shawn. Ronnie is your average young adult girl. She is so in love with her first boyfriend Shawn who she has known forever. Unfortunately, Shawn is stressed and is slowly changing. I love how real this book felt. Perry did such a great job. I felt like I was reading a biography. It wasn't overdone, I didn't feel like I was getting a lecture. This didn't feel like a Lifetime movie (thank God). This is just a story of a girl so in love with the boy she knew, she can't see the man he is becoming.

    I love that we get to see things through Ronnie's eyes because now I understand. Whenever I see girls who were abused or controlled, I always ask how can you stay with someone like that. And seeing things the way Ronnie did made me understand how easy you could fall into a situation like this especially when you are young and confused. She wasn't a sad character or someone to feel sad for. One of the many things that kept me glued to the book was waiting to see her find her strength.

     I did like Shawn at the beginning until those little incidents came up and I quickly wanted to kill him. It all started with the shoes really.  It is amazing that something as simple as a pair of heels make such a difference. That little bit of control really set his tone in the book and it got darker and darker. I was in love with Luke from the beginning. Definitely book boyfriend worthy. The moment there was a mention of dimples, I was toast. You could tell he had strong feelings for Ronnie and they didn't really become clear until they had to play Romeo and Juliet in the school play. That was a very fitting choice. With or without the play though, the chemistry between Luke and Ronnie was amazing. As love triangles go (and you know how annoying they are), this wasn't. The main focus was more of Ronnie figuring out she isn't really "in love" with Shawn. Even without the abusive behavior, she just holds on to the sweet times they had, but isn't ready to lose her virginity to him. I think she knew the answer subconsciously and was too blinded to see.

     We slowly get to see how Shawn manipulates Ronnie's love for him in the book. One minute he lashes out at Ronnie then says he is just stressed from working with his dad. He apologizes and says he will fix things. It is a horrible pattern and the pattern gets tougher and tougher the angrier Shawn gets. There were scenes in the book that had me in shock. Both from Shawn's outbursts and Ronnie's reactions.

      But the message of this book is if you know something doesn't feel right, don't wait to tell someone. There is nothing wrong with asking for help. Ronnie had her best friend Mindy and her therapist dad that could help and especially Luke who knew something was wrong before everyone else. She has a mom, but she was definitely lacking that "mother's intuition". She loves Ronnie, but the powers of perception have clearly skipped over the woman. But Ronnie just wouldn't go to anyone or she kept information to herself. Up until near the end, she was in such denial to her situation. She even says that she feels like she is on a tv show, watching someone else's life.

    I am truly in love with this book. This is definitely a must read. Perry has delivered a very beautiful and profound piece of work. And again, coming from a sci-fi nut, that says a lot. I know that I will be reading this again. I even cried for goodness sake! That was the though running through my head. "Don't you dare cry Diana, don't you cry, don't you...dammit!" It couldn't be helped. Perry is making me girly and I am not sure I like it. But seriously, add this to your list like yesterday. It is bound to send you on an emotional rollercoaster. You will be smiling, you will feel sad, you will feel angry, and you will be jumping for joy. Highly recommended.


Rating:




*This book belongs to the following challenge*
BCC's 100 Books In A Year Reading Challenge 2012 



Also I had to add this. This song was playing in my head every time I thought about how Ronnie thought of Luke. This song is the perfect choice for him. Hell, this is so perfect for them. One of my favorites from high school, the ultimate friend song. What do you think?

 

2 comments:

  1. Lovley review. :) I've never heard of this one but it sounds good, and clearly you liked it very much, so that's a good sign! I like Romeo and Juliet retellings, and this looks like the perfect book to relax my mind and have fun reading with. :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D