CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Indie Book Review: Larby Lodge (The Sword and The Flame #1) by Gail and Paul Gallacher

Original cover





Authors: Gail and Paul Gallacher
Series: The Sword and The Flame
Number in Series: 1
Format: Kindle
Release Date: June 2, 2012
Pages: 331
Publisher: Self-published
Genre:Young Adult/Paranormal/Fantasy/Mystery/Urban Fantasy


New cover
















Buy here:


Synopsis from Amazon

2065 A.D.

It is 48 years since the change. A time of great chaos and upheaval, when millions of teenagers across the globe, developed magical powers. Still, no-one knows why it happened. For years a fragile peace has existed. But now a divide is forming...

And 14 year old Eve Rivers is about to find herself caught up in the middle of the battle. A battle fought between those who embrace the change, and those who will do
anything to stop it. A battle that will forever alter the lives of everyone Eve holds dear.

*********************************************

    Wow! This book definitely took me by surprise. Thanks to the authors Gail & Paul Gallacher for giving me the opportunity to review this book. What a ride this was. Larby Lodge was Harry Potter meets Carrie. If that doesn't grab your attention, I don't know what will.

     Larby Lodge takes place in the year 2065 AD. Magic is now a norm. Once you hit your preteen/teen years, you have your Awakening. This Awakening is when you powers come into play. Our main character Eve is fourteen and is yet to gain her powers. Her younger sister Bronwyn, however, has her powers. The power of flight, just like their father. Eve's father treats Bronwyn, she is the favorite and Eve wants the same kind of approval but is afraid she won't get it because she may be a Dud. But after numerous tragic accidents that lead to a lot of pain and heartache, Eve gains her power, but not in the best light. So she is sent to Larby Lodge. A school that teaches girls how to control their magic so they won't be at risk of hurting anyone else. But while at the school, Eve slowly uncovers things about the school and its visitors.

      I really enjoyed our main character Eve. I am so surprised by how strong was especially for a fourteen year old. She truly had the weight of the world on her shoulders, but she didn't give up until justice was served. Definitely a character worth rooting for. Her dad pissed me off so much. The way he acted and treated her after things went down made me resent him. Then we have Swoosie. She is the home wrecker basically. But we start to see she may not be as awful as Eve thinks she is. But that is all I will say about that.

      I love all the side characters. I really enjoyed Eve's new.found friend Iris and how easily they connected. And even some of the villains specifically Bitch (yes, that is what she named herself). I wish we had a backstory of hers, but we see more near the end of the book what her problem really was. It was truly sad and traumatic and just downright wrong. There was one character, Irina the replacement teacher (something else I can't spoil), that I hope we see more of in the next book. She comes along and sheds light on the dark secrets of the Lodge and then we never hear from her again really. That was a tad disappointing. Out of all the adults, she was one of the few helpful ones.

       I love the story and how it progresses. It really grabbed my attention from the beginning and I love the turn of events. I love how we see life at the Lodge and the friendship Eve has with Iris. We also see how Eve copes with her new powers which gets her into a lot of trouble. We even have a little romance that brews between her and one of the fencing assistants, James. But it doesn't come to light until near the end of the book.

        It actually near the end when we get the real impact of the story though. During and after Bitch's traumatic scene, we get plenty and I mean plenty more development in the story. There are twists and turns in the plot that leave you breathless. Again, I wish I could say more, but I can't. Big spoilers.

        This is a high recommendation from me. The story was easy to dive into because the Gallachers created such an incredible world. It was an exciting book full of emotion and magic. I would have liked to find out more about a few characters, but my fingers are crossed for book 2. Either way, I am dying for book. No way you can make an ending like that without a sequel. Seriously, that was quite the bomb to drop. Definitely have myself a couple of authors worth stalking and can't wait to see what their brains will come up with next.

Rating:




*This book belongs to the following challenges*
BCC's Speculative Romance Challenge 2012

2 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    Thanks to all who have bought the book so far. It is much appreciated.
    We now have a 3rd edition of the story on Amazon which includes many improvments some of which came from suggestions from readers and reviewers.
    Kind regards Paul and Gail Gallacher

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D