CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Movie Review: Think Like A Man (2012)


Synopsis from IMDB

Four women have given up on getting their men to do what they want until they find a how to book written by Steve Harvey. They start using his advice about relationships, and their men start falling in line, until the men discover what the women have been doing, then the war is on. 

*********************************************

    I hate romantic comedies. They annoy the living hell out of me. Just cheesy and whiny and ahhhhh, I just can't stand them. Fortunately, this is one of the few, the very few, I actually thoroughly enjoyed. I  enjoyed it so much, I watched it twice which is a first for me. Not only is this a romantic comedy that is actually funny, but it is nothing like a Tyler Perry film.

     My main reason for watching this was Kevin Hart and Taraji P. Henson. Hart always makes me piss myself because he is so funny and Henson is such a great actress, she tends to make anything better. But the entire cast is worth raving about. I love the dynamics of the group of men in this movie. They cracked me up when they were together. I especially loved the movie when Zeke the player (Romany Malco) and Cedric the divorcee (Kevin Hart) were together. They fed off each other each other in this movie and it was amazing to watch. But the movie truly gave me a lot of insight to just how ridiculous men are. Hearing about it is one thing, seeing it is something completely different.

     The actresses were amazing. As I said, Henson was great. She played a woman named Lauren who was a strong, independent woman with a big job. She wants someone who makes as much as she does. Her best friend Candace (Regina Hall) is the single mother who finds a guy named Michael (Terrence Jenkins), the mama's boy. Then we have Mya (Meagan Good) who had some pretty low standards with men. Hence Alex played by Chris Brown who was there for less than 5 minutes and was just the douche in the movie. I want to crack some jokes here, but I am sure you guys will come up with your own.

     I enjoyed all the subplots in the film. They were handled well for the most part. Some needed help though. For instance, the one happily married man in the movie, Bennett (Gary Owen) talked a lot about his family, but we never saw him with them. We see everyone else outside of hanging with their friends except him. Also I wasn't sure about Kristen (Gabrielle Union) and Jeremy (Jerry Ferrara aka Turtle). She was the motivator and he was just lazy. She is trying to help him better his life and he doesn't want to. She tries to help him get a huge job at Neversoft (amazing video game company) and he just doesn't want to even though he has the degree for it and everything. I just didn't understand why he didn't want to better himself. Not to mention, compared to the other guys, his personality wasn't quite as effective as everyone else.

    And as I said in the beginning, this is nothing like a Tyler Perry movie. Just everyday people trying to live their lives and they are real. I don't dislike Perry per se, but I am tired of seeing black people put into such stereotypical roles. He either makes us really rich, stuck up, coldhearted robots or we are ghetto and loud as hell and/or desperately need years of therapy or rehab. I am African American and I can tell you I am sick of it. I love that this movie even pokes fun at Tyler Perry movies which is a nice touch. My point is that this movie is for a universal audience. There are no racial stereotypes and no one is exaggerated just for laughs.

    I would recommend this movie to those looking for a laugh or for those looking for a pretty good romantic comedy. It is a self-help book turned romantic comedy and we have seen a few of those fail miserably. Not to mention you already know where things will end. But I can overlook that because everything in the middle of this film was so enjoyable. Well not everything. The little plug-ins with Steve Harvey were a little weird. I know why they were there, but I wish they were done differently. I did have issues and it is predictable, but I had a blast watching this. At least watch this for Kevin Hart, he really sold this movie for me. 


Rating:
  

2 comments:

  1. I love Taraji P. Henson and this is probably the only reason why I'm waiting for this in redbox/dtv LOL

    glad you liked it, we have similar taste and thoughts in movies and your 4 star is comforting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Henson too. She was great in this, so you won't be disappointed. I know we do have similar taste, so I hope you like this as well. Thank you so much hon :)

      Delete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D