CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Book Review: The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles #2) by Kady Cross

Author: Kady Cross
Series: Steampunk Chronicles
Number in Series: 2
Format: PDF (ARC Netgalley)
Release Date: May 22, 2012
Pages: 416
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Genre: Paranormal Romance/Young Adult/Steampunk/Historical Fiction/Science Fiction









Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

In New York City, 1897, life has never been more thrilling - or dangerous.

Sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne and her "straynge band of mysfits" have journeyed from London to America to rescue their friend Jasper, hauled off by bounty hunters. But Jasper is in the clutches of a devious former friend demanding a trade-the dangerous device Jasper stole from him...for the life of the girl Jasper loves.

One false move from Jasper and the strange clockwork collar around Mei's neck tightens. And tightens.

*********************************************

    I reviewed The Girl in the Steel Corset a few months back (click HERE to check it out), so I immediately jumped at the chance to read the sequel. I must say, I was not disappointed. The Girl in the Clockwork Collar is just as exciting as its predecessor.

    The gang is all back together minus one. In The Girl in the Steel Corset, we left off with Jasper being arrested and sent back to America for a crime he committed. Finley, Griffin. Sam, and Emily all decide to travel to New York to get their friend back and find out the truth. But they soon find out that cops aren't what they are up against. Instead, they are up against a very dangerous and quite evil crime lord named Reno Dalton. Dalton kidnapped him because Jasper hid parts of a special machine all around New York from Dalton. Dalton has something huge planned and wants that machine and will do anything to get it.

    I love that all our characters are back and better than ever. Finley is still strong and is definitely her own woman. I love the push-and-pull relationship between her and Griffin. They are both so stubborn and are always fighting each other. She doesn't think she is good enough for him because she came from nothing. He doesn't think he is good enough for her because he isn't as exciting or "bad" as Dandy (who isn't in this book, which is a shame). We also have my favorite character Emily who is so cute and brilliant, it is hard not to love her. And Sam is still great. He is still a bit of an ass, but not as much as he was in book 1. I like that him and Finley are finding some common ground.

    I love how much we learn about Jasper and his past. He is an amazing character. He does whatever it takes to save those he loves. I loved this book, but I wouldn't have had an issue if most of the book was told from his point of view. Then we have Mei, Jasper's old girlfriend that Dalton has held ransom in his home. He has a clockwork collar around neck. If she gets out of line or tries to leave, it tightens. I found her a tad bit annoying. She is definitely the clingy, jealous type. I just kept asking myself, "Don't you have other things to worry about? Like your lives!" Dalton is a great villain. I had a hard time believing he was barely in his 20s. Just too knowledgable for his own good. Nothing seems to get past him.

    This book was full of action and twists. The book flowed well and Cross once again gives us a wonderful steampunk world. Again I ask; Hollywood, why aren't you taking advantage of this?! I love all the various people we meet while the gang is trying so hard to save Jasper and stop Dalton. A favorite and one I am most curious about was Wildcat. She is an old friend (possibly more) of Jasper's. Like the gang, she has special powers of her own. But hers make her less human. She has sharp teeth and nails, can climb up buildings and can take and give punches as good as Finley. I was a bit disappointed we didn't see more of her. I hope we do somehow in book 3. She was a very compelling character.

    I am trying hard not to spoil the book. But the only compliant I have is the way Dalton was taken down. I expected a bit more, but that doesn't take away anything from the book. It was amazing. Like I said, it is very action packed. We learn more about Griffin and his gift. It seems something that is invisible to everyone but him is after him. I am dying to find out who or what it is. Whatever it was, it was scary as hell. The characters are just as lovable as they were in the first book. The story was badass and had me at the egde of my seat. If you enjoy steampunk or never have given it a try, you have to check this series out. It is a blast. 

Rating:





*This book belongs to the following challenges* 
BCC's Speculative Romance Reading Challenge 2012

4 comments:

  1. I love that cover! Why do YA books have the best cover art?? anyway, great review luv. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Love that you loved this! I miss Dalton too but Griffin more than made up for him in my opinion. Finley is really evolving, she's getting more daring and I feel she's darker in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This series does sound like one I'd really enjoy. And I've been really getting into the steampunk reads too. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Smitten - LOL! I know, right? The covers are great, although I dId like the one for the first book more. That dress was incredible LOL! Thank you hon, so glad you liked it.

    @Braine - Oh I agree. I miss Dandy too, but I love that we got more room for Griffin which I loved. Finley is more badass than ever. Love her! Thanks for the comment hon :)

    @Melissa - It is a great series. Such a fun take on Steampunk. I think you will have fun with it. Thank you so much for the comment hon :)

    Thank you lovely ladies, you guys rock :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D