CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Book Review: The Siren (The Original Sinners #1) by Tiffany Reisz

Author: Tiffany Reisz
Series: The Original Sinners
Number in Series: 1
Format: ARC PDF (Netgalley)
Release Date: July 24, 2012
Pages: 425
Publisher: Harlequin Mira
Genre: Erotic Romance/Contemporary Romance/BDSM/Literary Fiction














Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

Notorious Nora Sutherlin is famous for her delicious works of erotica, each one more popular with readers than the last. But her latest manuscript is different—more serious, more personal—and she's sure it'll be her breakout book...if it ever sees the light of day.

Zachary Easton holds Nora's fate in his well-manicured hands. The demanding British editor agrees to handle the book on one condition: he wants complete control. Nora must rewrite the entire novel to his exacting standards—in six weeks—or it's no deal.

Nora's grueling writing sessions with Zach are draining…and shockingly arousing. And a dangerous former lover has her wondering which is more torturous—staying away from him...or returning to his bed?

Nora thought she knew everything about being pushed to your limits. But in a world where passion is pain, nothing is ever that simple.

*********************************************
 
     The Siren is about an up and coming erotic author named Nora who wants to make a name for herself. She wants to be taken seriously in the book world and if her new work is great, she will be published. Her future lies in the hands of an editor who knows his job and is brutal with his authors and their work. He is so against working with her, he doesn't take her seriously. But he will give her and chance, but it won;t be easy. He wants Nora to redo her work so it can be the best it can be, all in a little over a month when he is set to leave New York for LA. The chemistry between them grows more and more everyday, but both of them have secrets that are dark and they are not particularly proud of. Not to mention their pasts continues to haunt them.

      Let me just say right now, this is one of the best books I have read this year. Now you all know that I loved Fifty Shades of Grey, this story is far better than that. The Siren is more raw, erotic, sexy, in depth and funny. Seriously, the dialogue alone between the characters is worth checking out. Our main character Nora has no problem saying what is on her mind and you can never guess what it will be next. You just know you won't forget it.

      The characters in this book are phenomenal. Nora is one of the best leads I have come across. She is such a complex and enticing character, you are immediately drawn to her. The story she is trying to write is her own personal story and I love how passionate she was about getting her story out there. It is a story about her life as a submissive to a man simply named Soren. She is now a Dom, but she can't escape the pull to Soren and her past with him. 

     Zach, her editor, has his own problems to deal with. He is going through a separation with his wife Grace. He is still desperately in love with her, but doesn't know how to get back what they lost. We do find out the core of the issue between them and it is definitely a painful journey. Won't spoil it, but it makes a lot of sense the pain they share. My favorite character though was Wesley. He is a young man that lives with Nora. He is only 19 years old. Of course, this leads to a lot of speculation, but it isn't what people think. He was adorable and cared for Nora (maybe more than he should) and like with Zach, the dialogue between them always makes me laugh. They felt like really good best friends.

      I love the story of a woman just trying to get her story out their to the world. She knows if anyone can get it to be the best it can be, it is Zach. But I love how much we learn about her and her life behind the scenes. I love the chemistry between them even if Zach tries to fight it. I love the battle of him trying to keep things professional with Nora and still craving his wife. Soren plays a huge role in her life because he was her first everything. Trust me, you will feel uneasy when you learn the story. Don't say I didn't warn you. We are kept in the dark of who is and then when we finally meet the man that has shaped Nora into the woman that she is, you will be shocked to say the least. I shouted, “Oh shit!” Reisz really knows how to build suspense, that is for sure. 

     Soren is definitely not like any character I have come across. Everyone is on edge around him and you start to see why. Everything he says and does has a meaning. You never know what he is planning on doing, just that it will effect you one way or another. He is overwhelming to say the least. But like I said, meeting him is a very important part of this book. We also have the story between Nora and Wesley that I loved. I don't want to give a lot away, but I will say it had me screaming in the end.

      Like I mentioned, this is similar to Fifty Shades of Grey in that there is BDSM. There is an entire club that caters to it actually in the book. It is definitely something I won;t soon be forgetting. Again, more uneasiness. We actually see more of how Soren still has his claws in Nora. Even if she is a Dom, she will always be his submissive and you are not going to like how this goes down. I had to stop and take a breather during one particular scene in the club. You just keep thinking, “She didn't do that, did she? No she wouldn't dare?” You'll know it when you see it.

      I could go on forever about The Siren. It is a specular read. Reisz will leave a mark on you for sure. This is a masterpiece. She is not afraid to go there and boy does she go there. Her characters are memorable and larger than life. The story will stick with you and want you begging for more. Seriously, another ending that had me reeling. It was great, but goodness! If you are an adult and don't mind books that are a bit explicit, pick this up now. You won't regret this.
 

Rating:


*This book belongs in the following challenges*

7 comments:

  1. Oh God! I just finished The Angel and it's as good as The Siren if not better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on my to-read list! I am so glad to hear that it is a good read. I am going to have to get this asap! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting how you can read two different opinions on the same book, I read a review earlier in the week and she hates this book. I admit the whole S&M thing makes me uneasy and to hear you say there were a couple of moments that you won't forget makes me believe that this book ks not for me. Thanks for the ineteresting analysis, though. Glad you are back in the swing of things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am hearing of many who are liking this one. I think it's a little more...romance? than I normally read so not really for me, but sounds good. Glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Heidi - Yeah, BDSM can have very vast opinions. I won't lie, BDSM scared me too. But I took the plunge and I have come across amazing reads and this is one of them. I think you should try and give it a chance. The book is so well-written and it was hard for me to put down. You are so welcome hon and thank you for the comment. Glad I am back into the swing of things too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Melissa - It is a great read. There is more than just romance though. Hell, you could call it a character study. You should give it a go I think. Thank you so much for the comment hon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO glad you loved this book, Diana, and what great review! The Siren blew my mind as well and I'm looking forward to read more of Tiffany's writing :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D