CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Indie Book Review: The Soul Seekers by Amy Saia

Author: Amy Saia
Format: ePub
Release Date: August 7, 2012
Pages: 173
Publisher: WiDo Publishing
Genre: Young Adult/Paranormal Romance














Buy here:




Synopsis from Goodreads

When Emma's father dies, she and her mother move cross country to a small, boring town. Now the only constant in Emma Shay's new life is him. Beautiful, silent, him: the mysterious guy at the library she secretly calls Superman because of his dark, good looks. But Emma is puzzled and intrigued by his behavior. He speaks at her but never to her. He comes up to touch her hair and then suddenly leaves. And then one day an impulsive meeting between them uncovers a strange truth about William Bennett.

Set in Southern Indiana during the summer of 1979, The Soul Seekers is about one girl and the future she tries to deny. Can she save William from his purgatory, or is she doomed to share his fate?

*********************************************

     The Soul Seekers is about a young girl named Emma. Her father has recently passed away and she and her mother are moving to live with her grandmother. Emma feels tossed aside since her mother is drinking and she doesn't know anyone in the new town of Springvale, Indiana. While there, she gets a great job at the local library and notices a strange guy sitting in the library. He doesn't say anything to her and she doesn't say anything to her. But he is always there in the same spot everyday. One night of wondering has her stumbling on a coin that is oddly freezing cold. She soon uncovers that the little town of Springvale holds secrets that she couldn't have imagined and the mysterious guy might be the center of it all.

    I really enjoyed this book a lot. It was a great mystery. I was very invested in the story. I liked the character of Emma. I like that she had a special power, but it wasn't something that she let run her life. She really was just a regular girl. Although I won't lie, she sort of annoyed a few times in the book. She was a bit too trusting to be honest. There were just some signs that I can't believe she missed specifically when it came to the other guy Jesse. He was a tad bit flaky and Emma was just too trusting with him even when she says something was off about him. But I won't be too hard on her about this because it actually works for her in the end. But I did like Jesse. He was the hot-bad-boy-in-a-band type. Jesse and Emma actually spend more time together in the book and I liked them the most together to be honest. Then again, I just like my bad boys. I loved the mystery guy named William. We find out who and what he is and Emma truly is the only one that can save him. But he doesn't want her too because the result could be devastating for both of them.

     The story was amazing. The story is actually set in the late 1970s which gives it a really nice feel. I love the whole small town feel as feel. And most of all, I love the idea of a whole town made up of some sort of cult. I do wish we got a bit more information on how they came to be and how they were able to take control of the city. It was quite interesting, but that would have been a nice addition.

    I had a lot of fun with this book. The story definitely held my attention and I really cared for the characters. The ending was quite surprising, but I saw a little bit of it coming. It was also rather sad. There is a sacrifice made and it completely changed my outlook on the character and like Emma, it was unfair. And definitely left me with some tears in my eyes. Dammit Saia, why did you have to do that? I understand the reason, but why that person?! Nonetheless, this is a great read. Saia gave us a great mystery worth sinking our teeth into.

 
Rating:






*This book belongs to the following challenges* 
Babbling About Books and Stuff's Ghostly Reading Challenge 2012 

1 comment:

  1. Diana, thank you for this wonderful review! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D