CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

August Releases

Monday, August 20, 2012

Indie Book Review: The Tale of the Vampire Bride (The Vampire Bride #1) by Rhiannon Frater

Old cover





Author: Rhiannon Frater
Series: The Vampire Bride
Number in Series: 1
Format: Kindle
Release Date: December 7, 2009
Pages: 328
Publisher: Library of Horror Press
Genre: Dark Fantasy/Gothic/Horror/Paranormal Romance



New cover

















Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

All Lady Glynis Wright ever wanted was the freedom to live her life as she pleased. Unfortunately, her aristocratic parents want her to marry well and settle into a life of luxury.

When her family becomes guests to one of the most fearsome and powerful vampires of all time, Glynis finds her fate is far more terrible than an arranged marriage. Trapped in the power of her new master, she fights for freedom, revenge against her creator, and the chance to be with the one she truly loves.

Bloody, horrific, romantic and rich in gothic atmosphere, The Tale of the Vampire Bride is sure to thrill fans of the terrible, yet romantic vampires of literary past.

*********************************************

      This is a story about a young woman named Lady Glynis Wright. Her and her family are off to meet the husband that her family has chosen for her, Prince Vlad Dracula. He comes off as a gracious host who would want nothing more than to have Glynis for his wife. He is so taken by her beauty. But she refuses him because she knows there is something wrong about him. She doesn't know just how deep her refusal effects him and pays for it tenfold. She soon becomes one of Dracula's wives (the unwilling one). Glynis may be trapped and and has become something she detests, but she will fight for those she lost and her life.

      Wow! Just holy crap! This is what I am talking about! Frater has taken the original story of Dracula and given it a facelift. Just the feel of this book is breathtaking. It is dark and haunting, the setting sends chills up your spine and sets you on edge. Even if vampire stories have never been your thing, I believe this would change your mind.

      Lady Glynis was such a great lead to follow. Her drive and determination to find a way from Dracula made me have a connection to her quickly. Her family was a bit oblivious, but she felt it from the beginning and fought. I love her stubbornness and some of her childish antics. It reminds you that she just entered her marrying age and has always been under her parents thumb until being whisked off to Dracula's home. I love that she isn't just instantly going into her womanly role like a good girl should. It made her more believable for me. And seeing where she starts and where she ends up is such a rewarding experience when reading this book. Her journey is filled with so much pain, blood, and tragedy. The other wives; Cneajna, Elina, and Ariana, will scare you just as much as Dracula. Cneajea was the only real likable one, but she definitely had a few issues.

     Then there is Dracula. Goodness, Dracula. This is how I always imagine Dracula like. He is scary, detached from humankind completely, violent beyond belief, arrogant, selfish, but you really can't help but be intrigued by him. Seriously, I couldn't help but imagine Bela Lugosi and Gary Oldman as Dracula. He frightens you to your core, but you just can't look away. Frater has done a great job capturing that quality about Dracula. I have seen many representations of Dracula that were just atrocious (2004 Van Helsing anyone?) and I love that Frater truly understands characters. Her take on Dracula was quite frankly...flawless.

     This is like a revenge and coming-of-age story all rolled into one. Glynis doesn't necessarily accept her role as Dracula's wife (actually his favorite wife), but she endures and takes her time. Dracula is very intelligent and has covered all bases in case anyone has any ideas of escaping. Glynis waits and waits until the opportunity rises and she not only gets help, but she also finds someone who is willing to fight for her. But there are no dull moments. Seriously, this book won't let up and even when you get to the end, you know the story has just scratched the surface.

     I can't say one bad thing about this. Frater gives her characters such complexity and beauty, it is staggering. There is so much suspense and emotion in this book, you will have to stop to catch your breath, like I did. The Tale of the Vampire Bride is not for the faint of heart,there were times I had to put this book down because there were scenes that were too difficult for me. Frater packs a punch and I swear, there will be tears. It brings back the original vampire legend and delivers. The Tale of the Vampire Bride is brilliant, plain and simple.


Rating:
+1




*This book belongs to the following challenges*
 


4 comments:

  1. Gosh I have to put that on a to read list because you had me at a good Dracula and I so agree on Van Helsing hate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read any of her books but I sure would love to try it sometime. I love her blog posts and she really had a thing about zombies too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! *faints* You finally read the first book!!! *cough* I've only been bugging you to read this series for like a year now. *cough* Totally awesome review as usual hon! She's as brilliant as Tessa Dawn hands down. I have her other vampire series (in kindle edition) up to book 2 and I believe book 3 will release on September 7th. I can't wait! That's one of my have-to-buy-next-month books. I also purchased her zombie trilogy in audio. There on my TBR shelf and I hope to start them soon. :) I really hope her vampire bride series comes to Audible.com as well as the zombie one did. *crosses fingers* I'm totally buying it if it does. ;) I'm dying for book 3's release of this series! *stomps foot* I've been waiting I think around a little over a year. I know, she has 2 others series going as well as this one and has been quite busy, but I can't help it I need it asap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Great to hear you excitement about this one. :D Sounds like a catch. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D