CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Monday, August 20, 2012

Interview with Tracey Sinclair, author of Dark Dates

Hello my amazing Vagabonds! Today I have with me today author Tracey Sinclair. She is here with me today to talk about herself and her amazing paranormal romance, Dark Dates. Her book just released in April and she has been nice enough to drop by and give us some insight. So sit back and relax and enjoy the ride.




OBVB: Welcome to Offbeat Vagabond, Tracey! Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

TS: Hi, thanks for having me! I’m a freelance writer and editor who lives in London, although I’m actually from Newcastle and so am very northern – down to earth, a bit blunt and with a dark sense of humour.

OBVB: When did you realize you wanted to become an author?

TS: I’ve always written – I literally can’t remember a time when I didn’t write stories, so that’s always been an ambition of mine.

OBVB: Any authors that influenced you? Who are you crushing on right now?

More info HERE
TS: It’s hard to say which authors I feel influenced me because I was such a voracious reader as a child it would be hard to pin down to just one. I have a ton of favourite authors – Jim Butcher, Terry Pratchett, Mark Billingham, A L Kennedy, Hilary Mantel, Tess Gerritsen, Lee Child, to name just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. At the moment though I am *totally* crushing on Madeline Miller, whose book Song of Achilles just won the Orange Prize. I totally fell in love with it and have recommended it to everyone!

OBVB: What genre would you love to write that you haven’t tried yet?

TS: The genres I’d like to try are the ones I probably won’t ever do: I’d love to write crime books, but I’m not that great at planning out all those twisty, clever plots and following police procedure, and history books, but I can’t imagine doing all that research. I also wish I had some artistic skills, because I would love to draw comics. (I’m such a geek!)

OBVB: Now I heard you are a Buffy fan, so am I. Are there any other shows/movies that you geek out for?

More info HERE
TS: Oh, at the minute the top one has to be Game of Thrones, which I just think it utterly gripping. I also love The Vampire Diaries, which is my guilty pleasure, and Supernatural, though I think this last series has gone off the boil a little. I love the kind of quality British drama the BBC does - I’m a huge fan of Sherlock. On the comedy side, Modern Family makes me laugh out loud. I love Cam and Mitch!

OBVB: Your latest book, Dark Dates, released in April, can you tell us what it is about?

More info HERE
TS: It’s the story of a British girl, Cassandra, who runs a dating agency that matches vampires to willing donors – and when someone starts killing off her clients, she gets caught up in the supernatural underworld of London. Of course there’s lots of action and romance thrown in, too…


OBVB: Where did the idea of Dark Dates come from?

TS: The idea hit me out of nowhere really – it started out as a short story I wrote for a friend, but I found I really liked the character of Cass and then I started to expand on her world, and add other characters and it sort of wrote itself. I think some of it was in reaction to the ‘Bella’ type swoony heroines I was seeing: I wanted to write about someone with a bit more to her, someone who wasn’t superhuman but could take care of herself. Someone smart and funny, who liked women, rather than seeing them as competition – the kind of woman you could have a drink with!

OBVB: Dark Dates is full of vampires, witches, werewolves and angels, what is your favorite supernatural creature?

WOOHOO!!!!
TS: Ooh, tough question – I think they can all be fun, depending on how they are written. I love the Damon Salvatore snarky vamp, I love Harry Dresden the wizard, and I love Castiel the angel (that he looks like Mischa Collins of course helps…)

OBVB: Did you have to face any challenges when writing and publishing your book?

TS: Writing I always find easy – it’s all the rest of it that’s tough. The main problem was switching from ‘literary’ fiction to genre fiction; I got a lot of people going ‘why the hell are you writing about vampires?’ And publishers and agents at the moment are very risk averse – they only want the next big thing. That’s partly why I decided to self-publish: I just wanted to get it out there and see what people thought.

OBVB: If Dark Dates were to become TV show/movie, who can you see as Cassandra? 

TS: Another tough one! I wanted Cass to be an ‘everywoman’ so I deliberately steered clear of too much physical description, so that makes it hard to cast. I’ve probably thought more about who would play Cain and Laclos, though admittedly that’s usually actors I fancy so I can imagine going along to watch the filming…

OBVB: Can you tell us about your other works Doll and No Love Is This?

More info HERE
TS: Doll is a very dark, psychological romance – it’s not for the faint hearted! No Love is This is a collection of short stories, many of which have been published in magazines: it was great getting a chance to pull them all together. They’re both very different from Dark Dates, but that’s what has made this such fun.

OBVB: Besides writing, what else do you enjoy doing?

TS: My other big thing is theatre – I’m lucky that in London we get some of the best theatre in the world, so I’ve seen some wonderful shows. I review for the theatre mag Exeunt which gives me the chance to see a lot of things that I wouldn’t normally get to – the most exciting of which was a production of Richard III in the actual Tower of London.

OBVB: Last but not least, do you have any other projects lined up that you are working on or plan on working on?

TS: A sequel to Dark Dates! I’m hoping to get that out by the end of the year.


Thank you so much for visiting Offbeat Vagabond! Hope you come by again.

*********************************************
 
Tracey Sinclair Bio:
 
Tracey Sinclair is a writer and editor. Her novel and collection of short stories (Doll and No Love Is This, respectively) have been published by independent publisher Kennedy & Boyd,and her new paranormal romance, Dark Dates, is now available.

Her work has appeared in magazines as diverse as Sky, Printer’s Devil, Yours and Woman’s Weekly, as well as having been performed on the radio . Her first play, Bystanders, was premiered as part of the New Writing Season at Baron’s Court Theatre earlier this year. She also a regular contributor to online theatre magazine Exeunt (www.exeuntmagazine.com) and writes the Fangirl Unleashed column for www.unleashthefanboy.com

Her blog http://bodyofageekgoddess.blogspot.com was shortlisted for this year’s Cosmopolitan Blog Awards.

Follow Tracey Sinclair here: 
Goodreads | Official Website | Twitter 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D