CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Friday, August 17, 2012

Waiting For Daybreak Blog Tour - Indie Review: Waiting For Daybreak by Amanda McNeil

Author: Amanda McNeil
Format: ePub
Release Date: June 4, 2012
Pages: 108
Publisher: Self-published
Genre: Horror


















Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

What is normal?

Frieda has never felt normal. She feels every emotion too strongly and lashes out at herself in punishment. But one day when she stays home from work too depressed to get out of bed, a virus breaks out turning her neighbors into flesh-eating, brain-hungry zombies. As her survival instinct kicks in keeping her safe from the zombies, Frieda can’t help but wonder if she now counts as healthy and normal, or is she still abnormal compared to every other human being who is craving brains?

*********************************************

     Waiting For Daybreak is a great post-apocalyptic story about a woman named Frieda. Frieda is left all alone in a world full of zombies. She has nothing to depend on but her thoughts and instincts which is not always great thing. Even before the zombies or the “Afflicted” as she likes to call them, she has suffered from Borderline Personality Disorder. She suffers from explosive emotions and moods. Her mind tends to go to very dark places and she does sometime inflict pain on herself. Frieda has always been afraid and just didn't feel like living. But things have changed since it is the end of the world. But it is for the best? She doesn't know.

     I absolutely loved Frieda. McNeill has done such a great job with giving us a different kind of lead character to root for. Frieda is a character a lot of us can relate to. She isn't perfect, she has issues both inside and outside and she still fights for her life. And even with her issues, she has a great, spunky attitude that had me smiling. I found her very inspiring and I was rooting for her survival from the beginning. Then after Frieda is alone for a year with nothing but her cat Snuggles and her books, she meets a man named Mike. He is definitely the hot guy I wish I loved next door too. They have immediate chemistry. I love how impressed he was with her when he first met her (after he tried to shoot her). They are very impressive together. But when we start to hear his story, we see why they are so good together. I love the McNeil gave him depth and he wasn't just another pretty face. I would have liked more on his past because he knew a couple of things I was curious about. But then again, it is probably for the best.

     This is a story about one woman's drive to survive in a world full of zombies. This is very character-driven. She does everything on her own especially when it comes to Snuggles. She does all she needs to to save her best friend. This is how she meets Mike. I love how McNeil gives us a nice relaxing period with Frieda and Mike and Snuggles. Everything just feels good between them until it all goes to hell. I don't want to spoil it, but I had a feeling something was off, but I had no idea how bad it would get. My jaw definitely dropped.

     I wish this book was longer. I think we would have more backstory and maybe more characters. But that is what you get with a short story. I really enjoyed this. The last chapter of this book will have you on the edge of your seat. My heart was racing and I was panicking. Again, you will be jumping up and down for Frieda. I would love to see this made into a movie/TV show. This would look and feel great. Waiting For Daybreak will give you such a unique outlook on the world through Frieda's eyes. Highly recommended.


Rating:




*This book belongs to the following challenges*
Dead Book Darling's The 2012 Short Story Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D