CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Monday, September 17, 2012

Book Review: The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden #1) by Julie Kagawa

Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: Blood of Eden
Number in Series: 1
Format: PDF (Netgalley)
Release Date: April 24, 2012
Pages: 504
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Genre: Young Adult/Horror/Urban Fantasy/Dystopian/Paranormal Romance















Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity.

Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.

Some days, all that drives Allie is her hatred of them. The vampires who keep humans as blood cattle. Until the night Allie herself is attacked--and given the ultimate choice. Die...or become one of the monsters.

Faced with her own mortality, Allie becomes what she despises most. To survive, she must learn the rules of being immortal, including the most important: go long enough without human blood, and you will go mad.

Then Allie is forced to flee into the unknown, outside her city walls. There she joins a ragged band of humans who are seeking a legend--a possible cure to the disease that killed off most of humankind and created the rabids, the mindless creatures who threaten humans and vampires alike.

But it isn't easy to pass for human. Especially not around Zeke, who might see past the monster inside her. And Allie soon must decide what--and who--is worth dying for.

*********************************************

      Finally, a YA vampire read with scary-ass vampires. I loved this read so much. No whiny teenage drama, no annoying love triangles, and no sparkles. This is a read that mixes dystopian with the supernatural. It is a story of epic proportions.

      The world knows about vampires. They have taken over. After the Red Ling virus nearly wiped humans off the face of the Earth and turned vampires into deformed monsters called Rabids, leftover vampires emerged and have taken charge. Rabids are just as fast and even more vicious than vampires. The humans that are left either choose to become registered or unregistered humans. Registered humans (aka pets) get the protection, homes, and food from vampires for the price of their blood. Unregistered humans live on the outskirts of the vampire run cities, where everything is ruined and barren. They not only have to fight and scramble for food and water, they must also be careful of the Rabids, humans that couldn't turn into vampires. But one night while on the run for food, a girl named Allison is attacked, but is saved...by a vampire. She becomes what she has always avoided and is working hard to keep humans, both from others and herself.

      Our main character Allison is a very strong girl. She is forced to live in a wasteland along with s few fellow survivors. Those who chose not to live under the vampires' reign. She makes sure those around her are kept alive. She is the one that put's her neck on the line to feed her friends. I instantly had a connection with her because she was so brave and did what others simply didn't or couldn't do. She is one of my favorite heroines. Her mentor Kanin is interesting. He is hiding something and whatever it is, you know it is big. I love the group that Allison finds when on the run. They are run by someone named Jeb who is a bit of a religious nut. His son Zeke was a definite favorite. Zeke and Allison are great together even though they fight it, for different reasons. 

      The plot to this book was amazing. Jeb was a crazy nut taking this whole group to New Eden. He believes New Eden is where they not only have food and protection, but they are working on a cure for vampirism and rabidism. I love following them on this journey because we see how Allison is fighting to keep her humanity. That even though she is surrounded by humans, she refuses to hurt anyone and does whatever she can to keep them safe. There is also a subplot of a vampire named Jackal who is gunning after their group. He is very dangerous and knows more about the group and Allison than they think.

     I love the journey Kagawa has put us on. You really get a feel for these characters. They all feel genuine. Their reactions are real and make you relate to them more. I haven't had the chance to read Kagawa's Iron Fey series, but I plan to start sooner rather than later. I love her style and her world-building. This is the way I wish more YA vampire books were written. Thrilling, suspenseful, emotional with a little romance. I love the concept of a dystopian world with vampires. That alone was enough to make me want this. The progression of the book is very intense and complex. You really don't know what will happen next and it keeps you on the edge of your seat. Not to mention Hollywood sees how promising this book is that it is set to become a film soon. I have one command Hollywood: keep Allison Asian. I am sorry, but it had to be said. We know how you operate. Don't screw that up. Nonetheless, pick up this book. Allison is a vampire you should all know.


Rating:

 
*This book belongs to the following challenges* 
BCC's 100 Books In A Year Reading Challenge 2012
BCC's Horror & Urban Fantasy Reading Challenge 2012
BCC's Speculative Romance Challenge 2012

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic review Diana :)
    You are right about how nice it is to come across a YA read without whiny teenage drama, it is such a turn-off in a read. I haven't found many books where the main female character is of asian background, it was refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one just as much as you did, Diana! ;) I have to bully you into reading The Dark Heroine by Abigail Gibbs now, it's my latest crash on vicious vampires :) and we need to compare notes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been on the fence about reading this book. I don't read much YA because I have no patience for love triangles or teen whining. Thanks for letting me know that IR has neither of those things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exactly my thoughts about this book! I'm so happy you read it hon! This book series and the Divergent series are my new added favorites this year by far. I haven't had a chance to read her Iron Fey series yet either. I working on it, but there's so many books to read and not enough time to read them all! *pouts* I've haven't read that many this month that I was aiming for.
    :( DeAnna Schultz

    ReplyDelete
  6. *hiding* You know I have this book on my shelf *points* Right there. And that eye is starring at me. :) I really do need to get to it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D