CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Monday, November 19, 2012

Book Review: Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers #1) by Michelle Rowen

Author: Michelle Rowen
Series: Nightwatchers
Number in Series: 1
Format: PDF (Netgalley)
Release Date: May 29, 2012
Pages: 348
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Genre: Young Adult/Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy














Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads


I don't do dangerous,  Smart, ü ber-careful, ordinary Samantha-that's me. But I just couldn't pass up a surprise kiss from my number-one unattainable crush. A kiss that did something to me...something strange. Now I feel hungry all the time, but not for food. It's like part of me is missing-and I don't know if I can get it back.

Then there's Bishop. At first I thought he was just a street kid, but the secrets he's keeping are as intense as his unearthly blue eyes. If he's what I think he is, he may be the only one who can help me. But something terrifying is closing in, and the one chance Bishop and I have to stop it means losing everything I ever wanted and embracing the darkness inside me....

NIGHTWATCHERS

When angels and demons must work together, something beyond evil is rising...


*********************************************


     Dark Kiss is about an ordinary teenage girl named Samantha. She loves to dance and go out with her best friend Carly. So while out with her friend one night, she is approached by the guy of her dreams...or so she thought. They share one kiss and that kiss has changed her irrevocably. She is now a gray. Grays are led by demons and they have a very specific appetite. While wondering what has happened to her, Samantha stumbles on someone she thinks is a homeless teen. But come to find out, he is an angel and she finds out from him that she just stumbled into a war.

      Angels and demons plus a gorgeous cover? You bet I grabbed this book up. I liked this story a lot. Samantha was an okay character. I can't say she was a favorite. There are times when I felt she didn't do as much as I thought she should. For instance, something happens to her best friend Carly and I didn't think she put in enough effort to help her at times. I liked Bishop and his brother Kraven. There is a definite love-triangle brewing here. Well, at least it is hinted at. I am looking forward to this because I would have liked to have gotten more from these guys specifically Kraven. I thought he had more personality out of the two and he is more memorable. Either way though, we don't get much of a back story on either of them. But we get snippets and I want some elaboration because I am very curious.

      The story was good. I do like the idea of an impending war. But this book was mainly about setting up the world. I did like the search for the other random angel and demons who showed up to Earth like Bishop and Kraven. When they come to Earth, they have no memory of what they were until Bishop kills them first (they come back). I liked this idea a lot. I thought Rowen did a good job doing something a bit different with the old angel vs. demon war.

     I definitely had some issues with this book though. I didn't really feel any chemistry between Bishop and Samantha. Maybe because I couldn't get a clear picture of either of them. She says she shoplifted once and ran away to a shelter so she can connect with troubled kids. Okay, but what about you. That sounds like interesting character development, yes? But it is never discussed again. She doesn't sound like some troubled teenage girl, she has no real personal problems period until she got that kiss. I was disappointed by this because this could have made her a bit more interesting, but we didn't get anything. The book kept saying she was “special”, but make me believe that. Give me a girl overcoming some kind of adversity, someone who is fighting some personal demons. This would give me a heroine to root for, someone that I think is special not just you constantly telling me she is when I don't feel it yet. I am just saying, she has no identity of her own. All we know is that she is “special”.

      Another issue I had was our main villain. We meet the villain near the end and I can't say exactly how evil she is. I expected someone who went out of their way to actually try and take away the souls of people on Earth to be diabolical, but I didn't get that feeling. I do believe there is more than what we have learned...a lot more. The book does pick up when we get to this point though. Her plan is a bit flawed and we do get a bit more reveal about Kraven and Bishop which made me want the story to revolve around them a lot more. Again, more Kraven.

      Overall this isn't a bad read. I wasn't bored or anything. I just need character development and it was really lacking in this book. I love my “angels vs. demons” reads and this did a great job on that idea, but some other parts need some work. The end definitely showed promise and that is why I will read the next book, Wicked Kiss, set to come out February 26th. There is room for improvement. This is my first Michelle Rowen read and I have every intention on reading her other works to compare and contrast specifically the Nightshade series. Can't wait to see where Rowen will take this.


Rating:






*This book belongs to the following challenges*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D