CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Book Review: Supernaturally (Paranormalcy #2) by Kiersten White

Author: Kiersten White
Series: Paranormalcy
Number in Series: 2
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 336
Release Date: July 26, 2011
Publisher: HarperTeen
Genre:Young Adult/Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy










Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

Evie finally has the normal life she’s always longed for. But she’s shocked to discover that being ordinary can be...kind of boring. Just when Evie starts to long for her days at the International Paranormal Containment Agency, she’s given a chance to work for them again. Desperate for a break from all the normalcy, she agrees.

But as one disastrous mission leads to another, Evie starts to wonder if she made the right choice. And when Evie’s faerie ex-boyfriend Reth appears with devastating revelations about her past, she discovers that there’s a battle brewing between the faerie courts that could throw the whole supernatural world into chaos. The prize in question? Evie herself.

So much for normal.

********************************************* 

     Second book in the Paranormalcy series, Supernaturally, Evie seems to have the life she has always wanted. She has Lend, friends, family, a job and most importantly, her own locker. Things seems to be looking up. But after one day, the life she thought she left behind creeps back on her when she barely escapes an apparent kidnapping. Then coincidentally, Raquel shows up from the IPCA not offering for to come back fully, but to be more of a consultant for IPCA. Problem is, Evie doesn't want anyone to know she is working for the same company that she nearly lost her life for and have ruined plenty of others. She is trying her best to adjust to her new life, but she isn't sure if her semi-normal life is best for her or not.

     I do love this series a lot. Kiersten White's style is so funny and fast-paced. It is hard for me not to be a fan. As I said in my first review for Paranormalcy, this is perfect for us Buffy fans. With that being said, Supernaturally had a different feel to it than Paranormalcy. The plot focused on Evie's life and how she feels it is not as exciting as it once was. Things aren't as exciting as they are on her Easton Heights show. Evie has all she wanted, but it still doesn't feel like enough and that leaves her to questioning herself about everything and to make some questionable choices. The IPCA wanting her back made sense because I think Raquel generally loves her even though she doesn't express it. But Lend's family has every right not to like them given what they have done. She is getting kidnapped by supernaturals she has never seen and everyone believes the IPCA is involved. So Evie lies to everyone around her instead of telling them the truth. She also knows the truth about Lend's mortality, well immortality. She lies to him (by omission) and is scared that if he knows, Lend will leave her.

     I still love Evie, don't get me wrong. But I do miss all her Buffy-ness. I do love that the IPCA is changing their practices and that they are showing Evie that they are listening, but what about Evie? Where was Tasey for Christ's sake? In Paranormalcy, she wouldn't be caught dead without it, in this book, Tasey never made an appearance instead Jack was always there to save the day. I really liked Jack. He was crazy fun, I mean really crazy fun. He likes jumping off of things, doing flips and tricks. He definitely had a lot of spark. He is human, but definitely not of this Earth, which he isn't. He was raised by the Fey. While Evie thinks he is nuts, she constantly goes where he goes and I didn't understand why. She doesn't know Jack and she is always babying him. I understand he could easily attract trouble, but still. Lend is off to college and he doesn't have that big of a role in this book and when he does, something would happen to cut the time short. It made me mad because Lend is the closest thing to perfection and I wanted my Lend time. We also get an appearance from Reth who reveals something very big to Evie that was very sad. We also get more about Arianna, Evie's vampire roommate. This was odd for me because she was definitely going through something and I wished Evie did more for her. She does reveal something to Evie that was also very sad. But we don't get more on it, I hope we do in the next book.

     Now I do love where the book goes. It was a really good ending and I hope Evie has learned her lesson. I want the old Evie back; a secure, spunky little badass in pink. We got some of that, but this was more about her trying to find herself and adjusting to her new life. There is also this little side story of the supernaturals stalking Evie. This book doesn't fully go into that, but more like hints at it. I don't think it is paranoia, something is going on for sure. I can't wait to find out what is going on. But even with my issues, I loved this book. White's writing is amazing. This book was action packed, emotional, and very funny. Evie still has a mouth on her, dropping her clever lines like no one's business. I love this series and have book 3 in the library queue. Also White has a new paranormal series coming out called Mind Games which is said to be darker than this which I will be getting at Netgalley. So still a high recommendation but with some bumps along the way.


Rating:





 *This book belongs to the following challenges* 
BCC's 100 Books In A Year Reading Challenge 2012
BCC's Horror & Urban Fantasy Reading Challenge 2012
BCC's Speculative Romance Challenge 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D