CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Indie Book Review: 13 (Tallent & Lowery Book #1) by Amy Lignor

Author: Amy Lignor
Series: Tallent & Lowery
Number in Series: 1
Format: ePub
Release Date: November 30, 2012
Pages: 237
Publisher: Suspense Publishing
Genre: Adventure/Fantasy/Mystery/Romance/Suspense/Thriller








Buy here:




Synopsis from Goodreads


In 1902, in a dark room on the fifth floor of Carnegie Hall, thirteen people came together to continue a tradition that had been set in stone thousands of years before.

In 2012, Leah Tallent is Head of Research at the New York Public Library. Stoic and stable, brilliant and cynical, she has forever enjoyed her existence among the book stacks. But even with her unparalleled intellect, there was no way to know that on the historic steps between America's famous lions, she would become involved with a crazy man on a fanatical quest.

Gareth Lowery has spent his life searching for the ultimate artifact that he is certain exists. His life's pursuit has been to retrieve twelve keys hidden by men whose job it was to protect the single biggest secret ever kept. To find the keys he must enlist the help of an unwilling guide who, unfortunately, knows much more than he bargained for.

From the first page to the last word, this fantastic duo become immersed in a whirlwind treasure hunt with historical and passionate repercussions. From the strange and eerie Winchester House to the blustery darkness of Loch Ness, Gareth and Leah will quickly learn that the theory of duality is correct: For every bad there is a good and, for Heaven, there most assuredly exists...Hell.

*********************************************


      13 follows a young woman named Leah who works at a library. She loves her books and everything they represent. She is a smart woman who invests her life in research and facts. But one day at a special event at the library she works at, she meets a man that is obviously off his rocker. Or is he? Gareth is on a mission like no other. He is searching for an artifact that could change the world completely. Problem is the only way to find the artifact is with Leah's help. She is not the most adventurous or a believer in his crazy stories. But out of curiosity, she helps. But the deeper into the mystery they go, the more dangerous things become. But they aren't aware just how much danger they are really in.

     I had a blast with this 13, I couldn't put it down. Someone said this was Indiana Jones meets The DaVinci Code. That is quite the perfect description of this read. It was so much fun uncovering these mysteries with the characters. I love the history that plays a part in the story as well. Lignor definitely put a lot of work into this and it shows. I specifically loved the usage of the Winchester House. I heard about that story years ago and to this day it keeps me out. I saw a tour of the house on tv once and I know I will never step foot into it. The whole scene Lignor had in the house is one of my favorite scenes in this book though. Brilliant.

     I loved the characters. Leah and Gareth are ying and yang. Leah is very uptight and a loner. Gareth is charming and laid back. But together, they worked very well. I love the tension between them. Their scenes together are very memorable for me, They are so funny together and I found myself smiling every time they had a conversation. They were so compatible, it felt real and natural when they were together. Even when they are bickering back and forth, you just love them all the more for it. Definitely a team I could get behind. Then we have Gareth's friend Donovan. Leah instantly feels uneasy around him and I can't blame her. He has a vibe that gives you a very creepy feeling. I also loved Kathryn and Emanuel, Gareth's sister and her co-worker/lover. Her and Leah are a lot alike and I loved how easily they got along.

      The plot was a lot fun. I love how with each place we visit that moves the story along we are put into that history through Leah. They are looking for keys that will help them unlock the greatest artifact of all. Leah gets these flashes every time she visits a location that hides a key to help them find the artifact. It was so vivid and well put together. I love the use of Heaven and Hell in this book. The idea to unlocking doors to them is amazing. Lignor also uses the stories of The Last Supper and The Temptation as part of the plot. I don't want to give out exactly how, but it is so good. Scratch that, it is brilliant, plain and simple. The DaVinci Code wishes it could be this entertaining.

      Now I did have a couple of problems with this book. For instance, I know Leah is a self-proclaimed atheist. But come on. When she experiences these flashbacks to the areas they visit, she treats it like nothing after. How can you still have so little faith after what you have seen? She sort of writes it off as nothing. I also would have liked a bit more conflict in the areas they visited, whether it be from the area or whoever was after them. But they are still thrilling though. So I guess not much of a complaint, but still. If you read it, you will see what I mean. Also I would have liked if this was a little more of an adult read. Gareth is too hot for us not to get a nude scene out of him. Such a tease. There are also little bits of information we get that is not entirely explained. But this could easily be just making room for book 2 which I have every intention of reading.

      I loved this book. Lignor is super talented and that fact shines like a beacon in this book. Despite a hiccups, it doesn't take away from the magnitude of the story and the incredible adventure it took me on. It is a well told story and it is well written, The characters are lovable and even though this is fiction, I love the sense of realism this story gives you. Another sequel I can't wait to sink my teeth into. Highly recommended. Add this to your cart now.


Rating:
  



*This book belongs to the following challenge*
BCC's 100 Books In A Year Reading Challenge 2013!  

1 comment:

  1. What can I say? I am SO happy you loved the book and yes, the hiccups are definitely for a purpose. Tallent & Lowery have 7 adventures in total so I will (hopefully) make sure that you and your readers have a ball! :)

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D