CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Interview with Gordon Hooper, author of Alex & Katija: High and Mighty

Hello fellow Vagabonds. I have with me here today author Gordon Hooper. He is here to talk about himself and his debut book, Alex & Katija: High and Mighty that just release in November. So let's get this ball rolling.





OBVB: Welcome to Offbeat Vagabond, Gordon. Can you tell us a bit about yourself?

GH: Hey. I was born in East Berlin, on the wrong side of the iron curtain in 1977. Fortunately my parents had the good sense to bugger off to Sweden two years later, where I grew up. Unfortunately I am no longer blissfully unemployed and have recently had to relinquish the succulent teat of the Swedish tax payer and waste my precious time working, instead of writing, playing computer games and backpacking around the globe. Unfair isn’t it?

OBVB: When did you realize you wanted to be an author?

GH: It was during my first backpacking trip in 2005. I spent nine months snooping around South America and South East Asia. Having loads of free time I began writing as an experiment, which soon developed into a hobby, then passion, and, hopefully, a profession.

OBVB: What author(s) influenced you growing up? What drew you to them?

GH: Tolkien is chiefly responsible for my addiction to reading and writing. But others, Poe, Lovecraft, London, Toole, Orwell and Doyle are also major culprits. I find their elegant and eloquent works impossible not to admire. I have also always loved the weird and odd – Lovecraft, Toole.

OBVB: Do you have any special rituals or anything you must do before or while writing?

GH: Loud, fast paced music is a must when I write. Often rock or tecno, sometimes classical.
Absolute silence is a must when I edit (groan), however.

OBVB: Can you tell us what Alex & Katija: High and Mighty is about?

GH: Alex owns the Holstein Private Investigating Agency, and Katija is the resident henchwoman, a true femme fatale. As they are utterly rotten people they do not offer their clients any assistance what so ever. No, the hapless seekers of help are summarily robbed, swindled, beaten or murdered. They are based in Stockholm, Sweden, but their adventures often take them abroad.

OBVB: Who was more fun to write, Alex or Katija? And why?

GH: I enjoy writing Katija, with her ruthless nature. Alex, however, has to be my favorite character. I have always loved cowardly anti-heroes. His cowardice, devious nature and total lack of morals or empathy is great so explore and develop. He is a sort of experiment. How far can you go and still keep the reader hooked? What is unprintable? The political correctness in Sweden can be really oppressive at times, and creating Alex is me rebelling I guess.

OBVB: If Alex & Katija were made into a film, who do you see playing Alex and Katija?

GH: I would have loved to have a twenty something Johnny Depp as Alex, as he does weird characters so well, like in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Katija is harder. I don’t know really. Perhaps a fitness instructor, good looking but with a bit of muscle. Like Hilary Swank in Million Dollar Baby.

OBVB: What genre would you write that isn't your own and why?

GH: I would like to explore all genres, save what everybody seems to be reading nowadays. You know: “Oh no, somebody has been murdered, and Detective so-and-so has to race against the clock to find the killer” Yaaaawn…


OBVB: If you could by any supernatural being, what would it be and why?

GH: Invisible man, so I can creep around in the women’s locker room at my gym. Or, Professor X, then I could use my powers of mind control to get people to buy my book – and like it!

OBVB: When you are not busy writing, what do you do in your spare time?

GH: Reading, working out, playing computer games, and backpacking if I have the time and money.

OBVB: Are there any projects you have lined up that you can tell us about?

GH: I’ve got a dozen book ideas at the moment, and it’s hard to keep focused on one project at a time. But right now I am working on a sequel to “Alex and Katija, High and Mighty,” called Alex and Katija, The Terrible Two” After that I have a dystopian novel in mind, that is influenced by two great works in the same genre. Similar themes, but with a twist, and their ideas pushed to the utmost extreme.

OBVB: Last but not least, what is your New Years' Resolution?

GH: I was working during New Years, so I completely forgot about it this year. If I would have, it would probably been something silly like: work less, play more.


OBVB: Thank you so much for visiting Offbeat Vagabond. Hope to have you here again soon.

GH: Thank you, it has been a pleasure. See you around /Gordon

*********************************************

Gordon Hooper Bio:

Gordon Hooper's the name - and writing's the game.
Birth year: 1977 - An excellent vintage.
Born: On the wrong side of the Iron curtain, East Berlin, East Germany. Imported to Sweden at the age of two.
Educated: Not much
Worked: Too much
Reads: Poe, Tolkien, Lovecraft, London, Orwell, Melville and many others...
Signed at: New Libri Press
Own Work: "Alex and Katija, High and Mighty" Available as e-book at Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble.
Turn-ons: People who buy my book.
Turn-offs: People who buy my book, but fail to appreciate such an extraordinary masterpiece of modern literature.
Current occupation: Juggling promo work for "Alex and Katija" and writing the sequel.

Follow Gordon Hooper here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D