CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Monday, February 11, 2013

Indie Book Review: The Tortoise Shell Code by V. Frank Asaro

Author: V. Frank Asaro
Format: Paperback
Release Date: September 20, 2012
Pages: 412
Publisher: Bettie Youngs Book Publishers
Genre: Mystery/Thriller/Suspense















Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads


Off the coast of Southern California, the Sea Diva, a tuna boat, sinks. Members of the crew are missing and what happened remains a mystery. Anthony Darren, a renowned and wealthy lawyer at the top of his game, knows the boat’s owner and soon becomes involved in the case. As the case goes to trial, a missing crew member is believed to be at fault, but new evidence comes to light and the finger of guilt points in a completely unanticipated direction.

Now Anthony must pull together all his resources to find the truth in what has happened and free a wrongly accused man—as well as untangle himself. Fighting despair, he finds that the recent events have called much larger issues into question. As he struggles to right this terrible wrong, Anthony makes new and enlightening discoveries in his own life-long battle for personal and global justice.

*********************************************


     The Tortoise Shell Code is a story about a lawyer named Anthony and his friend Joe. His friend is in a lot of trouble with his bank. He got a loan to pay for his brand new boat, but is running dry on paying it back. But Joe has a set up that can make it look like the boat sank and get the bank, well bank owner, off his back. But things do not go according to plan and people die. Joe gets Anthony on the case to help him, but through forces unknown to them, Anthony too is put in the hot seat. Anthony is now on the search to find who has framed him and Joe.



      Wow! This read took me by surprise. What a thrilling read. I really loved our characters. Anthony was a super smart lawyer and he was an honest man. I love the flashback we got of how he and Joe met. And we also get his story with Cheryl which was quite the story. I won't give it a way, but it is heartbreaking and it is essential to the story. We also meet Joe and the hard spot he has been put into about the boat. He doesn't know that the banker who involved has a few tricks up his sleeve, He sends someone to spy on Joe's boat while it goes out to sea. While the spy is on the boat, tragedy strikes and that tragedy is placed on Joe's shoulders. Everyone thinks he had the boat blown up to get the insurance money since he was in such debt. I love how the story goes and how it connects everything between Anthony, Joe and the people around them.



      I am going to try my best not to give you guys too much info because this is a story that will be very easy to spoil. I honestly don't know what to tell you that won't give the story away, it is that big of a thriller. I love the idea of framing Anthony. He is working on a novel that literally came to life and that little story gets him into major trouble. I love how Asaro tied that in. It was so simple but had major repercussions. It was brilliant. Anthony does get enlightened along the way and comes up with something that not only keeps him sane, but could help the world around them. It was an amazing part in the second half of the book.



      As I said, I can't spoil this. It is just too good. The characters were great and well developed. You will be rooting for them until the end. This read was very mysterious and thrilling. After the first couple of chapters, it really picks up. I love all the layers we uncover with each chapter. It was such a thrilling ride. I was so engrossed in this story, I finished it in 2 days. Suspenseful, mysterious, and just plain captivating. I highly recommend this read to seekers of suspense. Seriously, check this book out now. You won't be sorry.


Rating:
  




*This book belongs to the following challenge*
BCC's 100 Books In A Year Reading Challenge 2013!    


*********************************************

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit the cover doesn't attract me but I'm a sucker for great characters. From your review it sounds like Asaro did great with his.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Braine TS I am not a fan of the cover either. It was part of the reason I was holding off on reading it. But I am glad I read it. It is an amazing read. Thank you so much hon :D

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D