CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Release Day Review: Wicked Kiss (Nightwatchers #2) by Michelle Rowen

Author: Michelle Rowen
Series: Nightwatchers
Number in Series: 2
Format: ARC PDF (Netgalley)
Release Date: February 26, 2013
Pages: 443
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Genre: Young Adult/Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy













Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

MY KISS CAN KILL.

I used to be ordinary Samantha Day, but that's changed. Now, after one dark kiss from a dangerous boy, I can steal someone's soul...or their life. If I give in to the constant hunger inside me, I hurt anyone I kiss. If I don't...I hurt myself.

Bishop is the one whose kiss I crave most, but if I kiss him, I'll kill him. Then there's another boy, one I can't hurt. One whose kiss seems to miraculously quell my hunger. They're both part of a team of angels and demons that's joined forces in my city to fight a mysterious rising darkness, an evil that threatens everyone I know and love. I just wonder if I'll be able to help Bishop-or if I'm just another part of the darkness he's sworn to destroy....

NIGHTWATCHERS

When angels and demons must work together, something beyond evil is rising...

*********************************************

          Wicked Kiss picks up right after Dark Kiss ended. Samantha is dealing with her new soulless life and it is difficult for her to say the least. Her best friend is lost in the Hollow, she found out she is a nexus (a mix of demon and angel, which angels do not like at all), she needs to suck on souls to survive, and the angel she has a crush may have to kill her. But she teams up with both the angels and demons that were sent to Earth to get rid of her kind, the grays. With so many soulless people in their area, no one can leave unless they are human, so more help is on the way to eradicate the problem. A new female angel named Cassandra comes into play. She seems to have a lot of secrets, so Samantha is trying to figure out what her agenda is. That or if Cassandra wants Bishop. Samantha’s trying to figure out how she can save her best friend’s life and she wonders if she is bound to be the monster everyone believes she will become.


            I enjoyed this book much more compared to Dark Kiss. Don’t get me wrong, it was good, but I wanted a little more. I got it here.  There was so much more action and “Holy crap, I didn’t see that coming” moments. I was sort of missing that in Dark Kiss as well. Wicked Kiss more than makes up for it though.



            I really liked Samantha a lot more this time around. I think she has matured a bit since the first book. She still has her moments though.. For instance, her irrational feelings towards Cassandra were so ridiculous. Samantha knows how it is like to be on the receiving end of girls-that-don’t-like-you-just-because. She instantly has a dislike towards Cassandra due to her looks and because she seems too close to Bishop. I just didn’t get it. It was a bit annoying and if she was paying attention like I was, you could see exactly who Cassandra would have had her eyes on. I was right. I also really enjoyed Bishop. He did have some hot and cold moments, but given who he is and what he was sent to do, you can understand why he was so odd towards Samantha. Then we have Kraven. I love what we learn about both him and Bishop. There is much more to Kraven hate toward his brother and we learn it all. Finally! That was one of my biggest questions from Dark Kiss and we got the answers here. It was depressing as hell, but man what an impact that had on me.



            Another addition to this book I enjoyed was Jordan. Jordan is Samantha nemesis. Jordan can’t stand Samantha. She hates her more since she believes her boyfriend Stephen (the one that took Samantha’s soul in the first place) broke up with her because of Samantha. They are put into some very dangerous situations together which I found infuriating at times. Jordan is the uber-b***h. But after a while, I actually started to enjoy her antics. She also becomes an important part of the story when we find out she has some abilities of her own which was awesome.



            I loved this story. It was just amazing. So much is revealed and there were some amazing surprises. The story about the grays becomes more intense in this book when the gang finds out about stasis. Stasis is a stage that a gray comes to after not feeding for too long. Now if you survive stasis, that gray becomes impossibly strong and hard to kill. That is what Samantha is in danger of becoming. She will either die or become a true monster. There is also something lurking around the city that no one can see. They don’t know what it is, but it is stealing people’s lives and they don’t know how to stop it.



            I absolutely loved this book. It was a great sequel. Now I found out that this is the last book in the series which now makes sense after reading it. The plots were very complex and flowed well…for the most part. This book could have easily been split into two books. The story with the entity was great, but didn’t fit perfectly into the story at times. There was also the background of Kraven and Bishop. I think I said this in my review for Dark Kiss, they should have been given their own book. Their story is just too good not to have its own story. The things we learn about their past was a great addition, but there are some questions I still have. I am just saying, I feel there story could fill an entire book, well at least give me more Kraven. That goes for all the demons in the book actually. We see they are not as awful as one would think especially Roth who I thought was a lost cause from Dark Kiss. Can we get some more on him? I really liked where that was going. So unfair.



            I loved the ending to this book. It definitely dropped quite the bombshell and kept the adrenaline up. This story was fast paced and packed a lot of punch. Like I said, I loved Samantha this time around. She has quite the backbone and does all she can to help those protect those around her. This was definitely a step up from Dark Kiss. I recommend this to YA fans looking for a complex and exciting read. Rowan really knows how to tell a story. Her world building is incredible. I love her take on angels and demons. I have already added her other series to my library queue and you should too. Highly recommended!


Rating:





*This book belongs to the following challenges*
  
*********************************************

Check out my review for Dark Kiss (Nightwatchers #1) 

4 comments:

  1. Obviously this didn't suffer from the sequel/filler syndrome usually associated with book 2s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Nope, this sequel did a great job. This was much better than Dark Kiss. I had a lot of fun with it. I am praying for a spinoff. There are characters in this book that need their own story. Thank you for the comment hon *hugs*

      Delete
  2. Before reading your review I would have passed this one up. I'm so glad I read it, now I think I'll give the book a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! It was a great sequel. I am glad I continued it it. Dark Kiss was good, but this definitely improved on the world and the characters. Thank you for the comment hon :D

      Delete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D