CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Indie Book Review: Perverse by Larry Rodness

Author: Larry Rodness
Format: ePub
Release Date: December 31, 2012
Pages: 223
Publisher: Itoh Press
Genre: Young Adult/Urban Fantasy
















Buy here:


Synopsis from Larry Rodness


19 year old Emylene Stipe is a 2nd generation Goth who, like every teenage girl, is trying to find her place in the world. One night she comes upon an old painting in an antique store and is compelled to purchase it.  When she brings it home an image of a young woman appears in the sketch and then magically materializes in her apartment. Emylene nick-names her 'Poinsettia' and they soon become fast friends. But Poinsettia has an ulterior motive for her sudden and strange intrusion into her host's life which causes Emylene to question her whole belief system.

*********************************************


      Perverse follows a young woman named Emylene. Emylene is the Goth princess. She knows something is missing from her life, but she doesn't know what. She doesn't think she is special. Until one day she comes across a painting that speaks to her. That painting is no ordinary painting. That painting will change Emylene's life forever and maybe for the worst.

      Wow, this is quite an interesting read. I loved how much we got to see into our main character's head and the Goth lifestyle. It was a great coming-of-age story mixed with an exciting paranormal story. I wasn't even sure how paranormal this book was going to be. It starts off like a realistic story of a woman who needs to find herself and grow up. Her discovery definitely forces her to do that.

      I liked Emylene later down the road in this book. I was not a fan of hers at all in the beginning. She pissed me off to be honest. She uses being a Goth as a way to act like a self-righteous b***h. Her parents are the owners of a very popular underground Goth club. She is the daughter and is called the Goth princess and she see acts as such. She thinks she is above others and people have to think like her for her actually like them. She really irritated me. FYI, people don't want to be your friend because you are Goth, people don't want to be your friend because you are selfish and self-absorbed. I have had plenty of Goth friends and I mean actual Goth, not the ones playing dress up. Even if our views were different, they never acted like they were superior to me. I am so glad Emylene grew up in this book, if anyone needed it, she did.

      The book's pacing was a bit slow in the beginning. But that is mainly because we are learning so much about the character and her relationship with her parents. I really enjoyed the parents in this book. They were fun and offbeat. You can tell they love each other. I didn't really understand Emylene's resentment towards them at times. I understand about rebelling against your parents, but my goodness Emylene. Too crazy, just too crazy. You will see when you get to it. Then there was the almost affair she has with a man named Stelio. Stelio is the one who starts the domino effect in this book. It is something so simple, but it all comes together in the end. But this was also apart of Emylene's childishness, she knew Stelio was married and she still wants to be with him. When she makes a certain discovery, she is angry at him and calls him a liar. Umm, hello! Doesn't the fact that he is lying to you to his wife already indicate he is a liar? I really wanted to smack some sense into this girl. I am sorry, but I just have to get that off my chest.

      I loved how the way the supernatural is introduced into this book. The mix of vampires and demons was quite interesting and unique. I loved how Rodness played with this. It made the book more enjoyable. The vampires are quite demonic in nature and work more like an infection that gets worse over time. The way they grow and spread is well put together. I loved it.

     Now, even though I had issues, I had a lot of fun with this book. It wasn't perverse, this isn't a book on love or anything. It was also another great way Rodness played with this book that I really enjoyed. The plot was great and I love the complexity of the world and the characters no matter how infuriating. It is a great book that deals with growing up and changing when you have to face something huge, well in this case, huge and super evil. I recommend this to anyone who likes great character development and a great paranormal story.

Rating:





*This book belongs to the following challenge*
BCC's 100 Books In A Year Reading Challenge 2013!
BCC's Urban Fantasy & Paranormal Romance Challenge 2013!

********************************************* 
About Larry Rodness

 
Larry Rodness began his entertainment career as a professional singer at the age of 19 and has been performing in Toronto for over 35 years with his wife and singing partner, Jodi, at venues such as The Old Mill, Royal York Hotel, Skyline and Bristol Place Hotel as well as countless corporate and private functions.

In the 80's Larry studied musical theatre writing with PRO under Broadway conductor Layman Engel, which led him to write for dinner theater. He then moved into the screenplay arena where he has written over a dozen screenplays and has had 3 scripts optioned to date. In the past 2 years he has also become a published novelist. 

Follow Larry Rodness here:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D