CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Friday, July 5, 2013

Blind Sight Blog Tour - Review: Blind Sight Through the Eyes of Aniela Dawson (Blind Sight #1) by by Eliabeth Hawthorne


Author: Eliabeth Hawthrone
Series: Blind Sight
Number in Series: 1
Format: ePub
Release Date: February 21, 2012
Pages: 172
Publisher: Ermilia LLC
Genre: Mystery/New Adult/Urban Fantasy














Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

A blind girl drawing is abnormal even on the magical island of Edaion where leaves brush themselves into piles in the middle of the night. As an immigrant, Leocardo is not biased by accepted rules of magic and determines that Odette’s drawings are premonitions. Aniela grew up with magic and knows premonitions are impossible. She determines Odette is a medium channeling voiceless spirits.

In this volume: While Aniela tries to escape a lifestyle where obligations take priority over friendships, she befriends Odette, a blind girl with the ability to draw. Almost immediately, concerns and questions arise as Aniela suspects that Odette’s gift is far stronger than any seen before. In the middle of family turmoil and a complicated romantic relationship with Odette’s brother, Aniela faces the realization that helping her comatose friend means disobeying her mother, something she has never done before.

Read Leocardo's side of the story in Blind Sight Through the Eyes of Leocardo Reyes by Ermisenda Alvarez:


*********************************************

     Blind Sight is probably one of the most unique reads I have read this year. Not only does the book take place on a magical island named Edaion (well to be fair, a living island), but the book has another counterpart. This review of for Blind Sight from through the eyes of Aniela. This is written by Eliabeth Hawthrone. The other is through the eyes of Leocardo written by co-author Ermisenda Alvarez. Interesting, huh? Well, you don't even know the half of it. 

     This version of the story I received is told by our main character, Aniela (aka Ana). She is from one of the royal families of Edaion. She has just been crowned princess much to her Tatiana's dismay. Tatiana is Aniela's older sister who also has a twin named Theodore. Tatiana is a troublemaker and is looked down by her family, specifically their mother. Ana is seen as the perfect daughter by her mom. Ana hates that her mom controls every aspect of her life. But Ana does find reprieve when she helps run an orphanage called Phoenix and through her music. During practice she befriends a blind girl named Odette. One night while they are at a party, an incident occurs with Odette. It is from then that Ana can't shake the feeling that there is something very odd about Odette. Ana keeps finding these mysterious drawings around Odette and doesn't think of anything of them at first. But could they mean more than she thought?

     I really loved this read. The concept is very intriguing. Aniela is a princess, but she doesn't act like a spoiled brat or anything. She never abuses her power unless one of her friends was at risk and I liked that. She is very smart and wise beyond her years . Definitely much wiser than her awful mother. You ever seen Mommie, Dearest? Yeah, a little like that but with a little less yelling and no abuse. I did get the sense that Aniela's mom, Alaya, cared about her daughter, but she has a horrible way of showing it. Odette was a very complex character who I enjoyed a lot. She added plenty to the story. There were times I wasn't sure I liked her because of the way she acted, but it will all make sense. 

     Then you have Leo, Odette's brother. He does everything he can to protect Odette. He is also Aniela's love interest. I loved he chemistry between them. It was a slow burn and it was worth it in the end. I can't wait to read the book from his POV especially when he finds out what Edaion is all about. I loved the characters in this book period because it may be paranormal, but it isn't always at the forefront. I actually forgot a few times that everyone had powers even Aniela. She can create shields and control the air, but she rarely uses her powers. I thought that was pretty cool because it made the story all the more believable.

     This book was a such a great mystery. I loved the mystery of the drawings from Odette. Hawthrone did a great job with the suspense of that. I also enjoyed the very idea of Edaion. It is a magical island that people can visit, but those with magic can never leave. The island actually has creatures that search to recruit those with magic. You don't know if you have any magic until you go to the island. The island and the water surrounding it awakens your magic and keeps it alive. There is definitely something more about the water though. We don't know what exactly, but I am suspicious. I am looking forward to uncovering this mystery among many others.

     This is the starting of a series so there are things we are left in the dark about or aren't covered at all. I heard that Leo's POV will answer a lot of questions, so I am really looking forward to that. There are a few issues I have with it. I would have liked more on Tatiana and her actions in the book. She was such a conflicting character. I also would have liked just longer scenes with some of the other characters just because I can't imagine how uncomfortable some of the scenes could have been. For instance, I would have liked to have seen what was said during that dinner where Ana's mom was clearly trying to play matchmaker. Sorry I an rambling. Nonetheless, I loved this book a lot. It is easily going on my favorite reads of 2013 list. It just has to. I love what the authors are doing with this series. I think it is brilliant. I am dying for more from these two. Highly recommended.


Rating:




*This book belongs to the following challenge*
Under The Covers Book Blog 2013 Immortal Reading Challenge! 



This post is part of the Blind Sight Blog Tour. Blind Sight is an urban fantasy novel written in two volumes, each telling the story through a different character's perspective. preview on Barnes and Noblepreview on Amazon


*********************************************

About Eliabeth Hawthrone


Eliabeth wrote her first series in second grade when her teacher told her she was not allowed to write chapter books. She's been a rebel ever since. Now, with coauthor Ermisenda Alvarez, she is challenging the accepted practices of the literary world. She has written Aniela's perspecitive of Blind Sight #1, the first book in a series that changes depending on whose perspective you're reading. So the question is, "whose eyes will you read through?"

Follow Eliabeth Hawthrone here:  

 

1 comment:

  1. Your review made my heart race from the get-go. I don't think I'll ever be able to read a review without being anxious. Did they like it? Do I write a convincing male? Was there enough magic, was there enough plot? I'm so glad you liked it and would love to keep in touch for future blog tours if you'd be interested. We're in the middle of writing book 2 (dun dun dun! One of which is from Tatiana's POV). As you may have figured out, I'll be writing from Nate's POV. More love, feuds, fights, and mystery to come.

    -Eliabeth Hawthorne

    ReplyDelete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D