CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Book Review: Unexpected by Faith Sullivan

Author: Faith Sullivan
Format: Mobi
Release Date: April 2, 2013 
Pages: 190
Publisher: Self-published
Genre: Contemporary Romance/New Adult


Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

One day forever changes the destiny of college overachiever, Michelle Rhodes.

Shattered, confused and alone, no one understands the trauma consuming her until she meets Connor Donnelly.

A native New Yorker, he believes he can aid in getting her life back on track. But what if he's even more broken inside?

Offering her a chance at a fresh start, Connor convinces Michelle to move in with him. Hiring her to waitress at his bar, their mutual attraction only complicates matters.

As more details surrounding Connor's past emerge, Michelle uncovers the full magnitude of the loss he's trying to hide. Refusing to let her feelings for him hinder his recovery, she makes a decision that winds up hurting them both.

By sacrificing her heart, Michelle thinks she is helping Connor come to terms with his grief. Little does she know, Connor is gambling everything for the sake of having a future with her.

What happens is truly unexpected.

*********************************************
     Unexpected is an emotional story that follows a woman after being affected by September 11th. Michelle had her life set. She knew what she wanted to do and where she wanted to go. That all changes when getting ready to go to class, she sees the tragedy of the World Trade Center crumbling. Her life is turned upside down and she no longer has the energy to deal with life. She moves back to her parents, but ends up meeting a guy named Connor. Connor is a New York native who has been deeply affected by 9/11, but he doesn't want to see Michelle throw her life away. He offers to help her, but he is keeping his own pain hidden from her. Will they be able to help each other or will they cause each other even more pain?

     Man, Sullivan has done it again! She always pours so much emotion into her books and this really will take you for an emotional spin. We see our main character, Michelle, and how 9/11 has affected her. She is a girl from a small town who has moved to the Big Apple. Her family is working hard to put her through school and she feels bad for leaving. But after 9/11, she doesn't have the drive or the focus. Connor has his own demons associated with 9/11 that he tries his best to hide from the world. I really liked the chemistry between these two when they start working together. Connor offers Michelle a place to work and live. They seem to constantly bump heads, but you can feel the attraction between them. But they are both to scared or stubborn to face their issues. They avoid them like the plague, Connor especially.

     Not only are our main characters great, but I really enjoyed the side characters a lot as well. The people that Michelle and Connor work with put a smile on my face. I loved Emily and her tough attitude. She doesn't take crap from anyone. And there was Connor's friend, Miguel. He was quite the angel in this book. I loved him.  

     This book has done a great job focusing on the aftermath of 9/11. You find yourself thinking of where you were when it all took place. It was hard for me and I live in Florida. I couldn't imagine what it must have been like just living a few blocks away from the WTC at the time. Sullivan really captured the emotions well in this book. The book is a fast read, but it doesn't fall short of captivating you. This book is more than a romance, it is a read about two people who are lost and need to fix themselves before they can be together. People who need to heal on their own instead of sweeping their problems under the rug. Their demons are what holds them apart and I honestly thought they would keep them that way. You can see how right they are for each other if only they can crawl out of the dark places they are in.    

    Unexpected is a beautifully written book. I only wish it were longer so it could dive a little deeper. But it was fantastic for just under 200 pages. I won't lie, I did want to smack some sense into Michelle at some parts of the book. The way she reacted sometimes when Connor or school was concerned confused me. But near the end, she explains herself to someone then it all made sense. I got where she was coming from. I can't imagine what it must be like being with someone who uses you more like a crutch. You will feel for these characters though specifically Connor. I just wish the book was longer so that we could explore more of his side of things. This was a great book that was hard to put down. I look forward to reading more from Sullivan, she really knows how to suck you in. I am definitely hooked.   


*********************************************
About Faith Sullivan

I really hate talking about myself. My goal is to have the shortest author bio imaginable. I would much rather have a conversation with my readers.
Are you able to escape within my pages?
Does my writing make you feel something?
Are there characters that you can't get out of your head?

Let me know!


Email me at faithsullivanwrites [at] hotmail [dot] com or on Twitter at @_FaithSullivan_

Follow Faith Sullivan here:
In honor of the 12th anniversary of September 11, I will be donating 50% of the proceeds from UNEXPECTED during the month of September 2013 to the 9/11 memorial fund (https://www.911memorial.org).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D