CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Book Review: Keep You From Harm (Remedy #1) by Debra Doxer

Author: Debra Doxer
Series: Remedy
Number in Series: 1
Format: ePub
Release Date: September 25, 2013
Pages: 320
Publisher: Self-published
Genre: Mystery/Paranormal Romance/Young Adult














Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads

Secrets…

They weigh you down. I’ve kept a secret all my life. It’s my mother’s secret, too. I inherited it from her along with a unique ability that only we possess. She’s gone now, another victim of addiction. If her death isn’t enough to bring me to my knees, her betrayal flays me to the bone. Because the secret my mother and I have been keeping is just one of many she’d kept. She never told me I have an older brother. And now he’s here, eager to be my guardian.

There is no one else. So I move across the country to live with this stranger, my brother. But experience has taught me that most situations are temporary and forming attachments only leads to hurt in the end. That’s why I’m determined to keep to myself in this new place, struggling to seem aloof while I’m quietly breaking apart.

Then I meet Lucas…

His magnetism is hard to resist, and most girls at school aren’t resisting. I don’t fall so easily though, especially not for guys who use their good looks as a weapon. From the start, our interactions are tense and volatile. I know it’s because I’m denying the unwelcome desire that grips me when he’s near. I think he feels it, too. He looks at me with an intensity that threatens to unhinge my resolve. Soon he’s trying to break through the walls that past hurts have built.

But I’m not what I appear to be, and it wouldn’t be fair to get involved with him. At least that’s what I tell myself. Until a terrible act of violence reveals that Lucas has a secret, too. It’s a secret that links us together and ties us to an evil history I could never have imagined.

 *********************************************

     Keep You From Harm is a story that follows a young woman named Raielle. She is going through something most kids couldn't imagine. She found her mom murdered and has found that she has a brother her mom lied about. Her brother, Kyle, has taken her in and will watch over her. She is now going to a new school and has quickly made friends even though she doesn't really want to. She has a secret that makes her avoid a connection with a lot of people. Raielle is still struggling with the lie her mom told her, but she will soon find out there is plenty her mom didn't tell her. Some of which may cost her her life.

     This is definitely not your typical Young Adult read and I was very happy about that. I didn't expect the twists and turns. The mystery had me on the edge of my seat. Raielle is an interesting read. She feels cursed because of her ability. She has the ability to heal all injuries, but it sometimes comes with a huge price. When she doesn't use her power, she is in pain. She tries her best to avoid people, but that doesn't work for her at her new school. She seems to be attracting a lot of attention, both good and bad. But what started off as bad attention quickly becomes good when she meets Lucas. Lucas was a bit standoffish at first with everyone not just Raielle. Things change when they find that they actually have feelings for each other. But they both have secrets that may destroy one another. I did love their relationship though. They had a lot of things to clear up. It was incredible seeing how far their connection went. That was an interesting revelation. I also loved the side characters. Penelope, Raielle's niece was insanely cute, it killed me. I loved Raielle's friends, Gwen and Myles. They were both the kind of people that were good for Raielle, especially Gwen. I loved her.

    This story was a breath of fresh air. I love that it is a story about a seemingly normal teenage girl who has experience a lot of trauma. But it turns out a lot of her trauma is due to the fact that she has an ability that no one can know about. She knows her mom had it and it nearly destroyed her and maybe made her lose her life. Raielle wants to know if her brother may have it, but while at a a party she uncovers another secret her mom kept from her. The secret will unravel more that Raielle bargained for. I felt so bad for Raielle. Every time she thought she was ahead, she would find something that would knock her a million steps back. Her and Lucas had some hardships that held them back. Raielle is trying to get out of her own hell and Lucas was living it. His life at home is beyond terrifying. I couldn't believe it and again, there is a connection here that no one saw coming. I loved the build up in the book and the suspense. This is my first read from Doxer and it won't be my last. I am dying for more of this series.

    This is highly recommended. If you want a mature YA read with a touch of paranormal, this is the perfect read. You will get very engulfed in this story and the characters. It is so based in reality, but it has a bit of magic which I really like. It added to the mystery and suspense of the book. You will breeze through this book. I am so excited for the next book. Doxer really knows how to capture an audience and she has herself a new fan.     

Rating:







*This book belongs to the following challenge*

Under The Covers Book Blog 2013 Immortal Reading Challenge!
 


*********************************************

About Debra Doxer

A little about me....
I’m a mom with a beautiful three-year-old daughter. I’ve been working as a technical writer in high tech, mostly in network and security software, for over a decade now, putting my time in at some intense start-ups and more recently for big corporations. Since I’m a geek, I really love it. But I also love fiction writing. That’s really my first love -- okay second love now, after the kiddo.

When I’m not chasing that cute kiddo around or writing about security software, I’m making up worlds and characters and spending what’s left of my free time there with them.



Connect with Debra Doxer:
Blog  |  Facebook  |  Goodreads  |  Twitter


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D