CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Alice Will Blog Tour - Book Review: Alice Will (Dreams of Chaos #1) by Ashley Chappell

Author: Ashley Chappell
Series: Dreams of Chaos 
Number in Series: 1
Format: Paperback
Pages: 297
Release Date: November 13, 2012
Publisher: Center One Books
Genre: Fantasy/Middle Grade/Paranormal














Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads


With her leaky powers and premature smiting problem, fourteen year-old Trotter was still just trying to get the hang of the demi-godding business when the apocalypse began. In a world where the gods have withdrawn from humanity, leaving mortals bitter toward magic, she finds herself torn between the human and the goddess in her. When the world begins to fade away and she becomes the prime suspect, her search to determine the cause and prove her innocence ends up revolving around a mysterious little girl named Alice. Then she discovers that not all of the gods had been as distant as they seemed...

Now, with everyone against her and the gods fighting amongst themselves, Trotter is on her own to save her world and stop a spiteful god from using Alice to destroy everything.

*********************************************

     Alice Will is a fun and super imaginative read for everyone to enjoy. In this story, we follow a young demi-god named Trotter. Trotter and her companion, Prowler, are quite a team. Trotter is a stubborn and smart girl. She had the power of truth telling. But she has no idea how strong her powers are. We also follow a very young girl named Alice. Alice is a servant girl for a terrible couple who run an inn. Alice has an ability to see things others can't and make people see and believe things that aren't there. Alice is a bright girl and knows she is special. Others are taking notice to how special she is as well. Neither girl are aware that their powers are very coveted specifically by a very angry and trapped god.

      I loved this story so much. I haven't read much middle grade books, but I am glad I caught this one. The story was unique and witty. I wasn't expecting all the laughs. It was a nice surprise. I loved the lore in this book a lot. Chappell put so much in this book, but never once did I feel confused. I loved all the backstories especially the one of our villain, Laramak. He was a vicious and jealous man. Anyone that seemed to have more power or had a one up over him, he felt the need to eradicate them.
 

     The story was fast paced and well thought out. I love the characters. Mostly everyone has a secret involving Trotter, but for good reason. Trotter's powers are growing stronger and stronger everyday. One day she attempts a small trick that seems to have caused a quake. Quakes mean bad things are coming and now people of a bit frightened of Trotter. She knows she is innocent and wants to prove her innocence. I love how her and Alice's stories coincide. They are both so young and they take on things no one could possibly imagine especially Alice. 

     This was such an adventurous read. I really had a hard time putting this book down. This was such a wonderful fantasy read. I was captivated from page one. You really want to know if the main character is going to annihilate the world and how. It could be scary, but I love that Chappell made it fun and action packed as well. Chappell's imagination is worth raving about. She has such a great way of getting you so invested in her characters and the worlds she built. I was on the edge of my seat. This is a highly recommended read. Even if fantasy isn't your thing, I would say check this out. It may change the way you feel about fantasy, Yeah, this book was that good.


Rating:






*This book belongs to the following challenges*
The Book Vixen's 2014 Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge

Under The Covers Book Blog 2014 Immortal Reading Challenge


*********************************************

 About Ashley Chappell

Ms. Chappell currently resides in Huntsville, AL with the love of her life. During her writing time her cats sometimes share her lap with her computer, should they choose to allow the usurpation at all. When not writing, reviewing, or burying her nose in one of her well-worn Terry Pratchett or Neil Gaiman novels, she can be found sailing with her fiancé on their boat ‘Dupracity’ (Fans of Kurt Vonnegut will want to ask her what that means!).




Connect with Ashley Chappell here:
Facebook  |  Goodreads  |  Pinterest  |  Twitter  |  Website

*********************************************

Alice Will Blog Tour Schedule

Tuesday, March 04, 2014: Offbeat VegabondAlice Will

Wednesday, March 05, 2014: Book Marks the SpotAlice Will and Tilt

Thursday, March 06, 2014: A Book GeekAlice Will

Monday, March 10, 2014: Bibliophilia, PleaseAlice Will

Thursday, March 13, 2014: Pingwing’s BookshelfAlice Will

Monday, March 17, 2014: Peeking Between the PagesAlice Will

Tuesday, March 18, 2014: The Reader’s Hollow - Alice Will

Tuesday, March 18, 2014: Diary of a Stay at Home MomAlice Will and Tilt

Wednesday, March 19, 2014: Books Without Any PicturesAlice Will

Thursday, March 20, 2014: The Reader’s HollowTilt

Monday, March 24, 2014: Peeking Between the PagesTilt

Tuesday, March 25, 2014: A Dream Within a DreamAlice Will and Tilt

Wednesday, March 26, 2014: Allodoxophobia: The Fear of OpinionsAlice Will and Tilt

Tuesday, April 01, 2014: Books, Books Everywhere! - Alice Will

Wednesday, April 02, 2014: Books, Books Everywhere! - Tilt

Wednesday, April 02, 2014: Hopelessly Devoted BibliophileAlice Will

Thursday, April 03, 2014: The Written WorldAlice Will and Tilt


********************************************* 

8 comments:

  1. Diana, thank you so much! You have no idea how wonderful it is to wake up and see such an awesome review – I’m going to start this day off on cloud 9! :-) I’m especially glad you enjoyed the lore; crafting the mythology behind Laramak and the Reconstruction were my favorite parts of writing this series. I even had some side tales (including how Prowler became a cat!), but I decided to hold onto those for later installments ;-) Thank you again so much for reading Alice and taking the time to review!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ashley. Thank you so much. I am so glad I signed up for this tour. I usually don't read a lot of middle grade books, so this was kind of new territory for me. I am so glad that you liked my review. I would love to see how Prowler became a cat. Thank you so much again hon and you are more than welcome :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds like a great read Diana! I love the cover and the story behind it sounds very interesting. I don't read much middle grade books either, if any at this point, but this sounds like one I might need to give a chance. I really enjoy fact pace reads and stories that really make you want to not put it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by the tour! I'll never forget the first time my publisher showed me what they had selected as the cover; it wasn't at all what I'd envisioned, but I was completely swept away by how beautiful it was :-) If you do give Alice a chance I hope you enjoy it! I read more MG and YA than anything these, myself.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Deanna! The cover really is pretty and the story is amazing. I think this would be an awesome movie. It was so amazing. I think you will have a blast with this one. It is great. Thank you hon :D

      Delete
  3. I really appreciate imaginative, inventive authors! They make me wish I had as good of an imagination. :)

    Thanks for being on the tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Trish! I'm so glad I got to begin it here with Diana - she really made my day with her kind words :-)

      Delete
    2. I am so with you. This story will make you jealous that you haven't thought of it yet LOL! Thank you for having me hon. I absolutely loved this. And I am so glad I made your day, Ashley. That makes mine LOL!

      Delete

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D