CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Book Review: Dead Winners by Dave McDonald

Author: Dave McDonald
Format: ARC Doc
Pages: 366
Release Date: March 9, 2014
Publisher: Self-published
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Buy here:
 
 
Synopsis from Goodreads
 
Powerball winners are dying and their winnings are missing.

A decorated former Marine officer is tired and broken until given another shot at life: a loving girlfriend, a lottery commissioner’s job, and a seductive female governor as his new boss. Within his first week as a commissioner, Brent Layne discovers he’s trapped in a corruption pit with everyone around him either lying or dying.

*********************************************
    
      Dead Winners makes me happy I never purchase lottery tickets. McDonald's has put together one hell of an action-packed mystery. I breezed through this in a couple of days. I didn't really know how exciting a book about lottery tickets could be, but boy, McDonald hit it on the head. Brent is a man that is down on his luck. He is a former Marine desperate for a new job. One seemingly falls into his lap given to him by his girlfriend's brother. He doesn't like charity, but it seems like a great opportunity. Unfortunately, he soon finds that this great opportunity may be a trap. Someone is killing lottery winners and taking their money on top of rigging the actual game. Brent is now stuck in the middle of it and he knows someone is playing him, but he doesn't know who.

      I loved this book. This was such an exciting read, it took me by surprise. Hell, it opens up with quite a setting. It captured my attention from the get go. The story is fast paced and full of mystery. I loved our main character, Brent. I did feel the need to slap him a few times, but then again, it made his character more believable. He has received a new job as the Vice Chairman of the Lottery Commission. His boss and the governor is Katharine Franklin (aka Kitty) who is a strong and very beautiful woman. Brent is attracted to her even though he already has a girlfriend. It seems Kitty is also very attracted to him since she knows more about him than he thinks. Like I said, I loved Brent. He was a strong and very smart man, but not when it came to Kitty. He thought with his other brain and I knew that would get him in a world of trouble. His involvement with Kitty opens up some very dangerous doors since people who work with Kitty seem to drop like flies. Someone is rigging the lottery and killing those who win and it all connects to Kitty.

      I did like being in Brent's head. He always asked the right questions. Whatever I was saying, he was saying. It made it more enjoyable because he was easy to relate to. I also really enjoyed the dialogue. There is just the right amount of humor in this book. It doesn't take away from the action or the mystery. The book is full of one suspenseful scene after another. But it was never overwhelming or overdone like a Michael Bay movie. I was completely lost in this story. This is my first read from McDonald and I hope to read more. He knows how to weave one hell of a story.

     I could go on forever about this, but I would hate to spoil it. The twists in this book will drive you crazy. You will be kept on your toes until the end. You just won't believe how crazy this gets. I loved every minute of it. The characters feel real and are complex. The story is so captivating and suspenseful. If you are looking for a thrilling page-turner, I highly recommend you get this book pronto.
 
 
Rating:
 
 
 
 
*This book belongs to the following challenges*
The Book Vixen's 2014 Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge
 
 
*********************************************
 
About Dave McDonald
 


A romanticist at heart, with a deductive mind, I am a graduate engineer who traveled the world keeping commercial jet engines flying safely. I thought I loved my first career until I found my second, writing.
For the past several decades, I traveled abroad. At the time I was performing my job. In retrospect, I was collecting data; sights, smells, emotions, experiences, characters, and stories for my second career.
Over the past ten years, I've belonged to two writing groups. I've given presentations on editing at writing conferences. I've had a writing critique partner for the past nine years.
I have written ten novels with many more in seed. Every day is a creative opportunity.
I live with my wife, Linda, and our dog, Bentley on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.
 
Connect with Dave McDonald here:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D