CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

October Releases

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Book Review: Drowning by Jassy De Jong

Author: Jassy De Jong
Pages: 201 
Release Date: October 1, 2014
Publisher: Astor + Blue Editions
Genre: Contemporary Romance/Domestic Abuse/Erotic Romance















Buy here:


Synopsis from Goodreads
Sensuous but stifled New York City photographer Erin Mitchell thinks going to South Africa on assignment will be the perfect getaway.

But when a flash flood washes away Erin’s vehicle and she is stranded at a luxury safari lodge, Erin’s romantic working vacation takes an interesting turn. She awakens from her near-drowning and meets her rescuer, Nicholas―hot and brilliant, successful and caring―not at all like her abusive husband. At Leopard Rock in the steamy South African heat, Erin faces the toughest choices of her life.

Nicholas is ripped, he's smart and he's "no strings attached." To give in, or not to give in drowns Erin’s senses as she struggles with two impossible goals: ignore the exquisite physical charms of her host, and conceal every last detail whenever her controlling husband calls. On the other side, Nicholas faces impossible choices of his own, as the bon-vivant playboy may just possibly collide with feelings more powerful than lust.

Erotic. Exotic. Wild. Drowning sizzles in the African heat as one woman is stretched to the breaking point by the strength of her vows and the intensity of her seething primal desires.
*********************************************

     Drowning is a story about a photographer named Erin traveling in South Africa with her husband, Vince. They have been arguing and are now driving in different cars. This unfortunately leads to some very bad luck for Erin. It is raining and there has been a flash flood. Erin nearly drowns when she is left behind on the other side of a bridge that is now no longer standing thanks to the rain. Erin has been rescued, however, by a very handsome man who owns a beautiful lodge nearby. This chance meeting is going to change her life forever.

     Wow, who knew that drowning could actually save your life. Yes, I said that. It will make sense once you read the book. Nonetheless, this is my first read from de Jong, but I plan on indulging in more of her works. This was such a beautifully written story. I was hooked from the get go.

     Erin was quite the interesting character. It took me a while to like her though. She didn't have much of a backbone and it drove me nuts. Her husband, Vince, was lower than scum. From the beginning, the way he talked to her will rub you the wrong way. He treated her like crap and she just took it. I understand this happens in real life, but it kills me seeing a woman or man being treated like this. Her husband needed a swift kick to the balls, preferably with steel-toed boots. I would make sure he got the message loud and clear. Hell, maybe I would go all Gone Girl on him. Ok, that would be overkill, but you get where I am getting at. The man was awful. But that is what made reading this so engaging. You wonder if she will snap out of it or try to get back with him. This book raised so many emotions in me and it made me enjoy it even more. 


    I loved the instant attraction between Erin and Nicholas. Nicholas is the paramedic that saved her from drowning to death. Erin was lucky enough that she was close to the lodge he owns and runs. But the whole time she is fighting her attraction because she wants to stay faithful to her crappy husband. It added a sense of realism to the book though. Erin trying to sort through her feelings and her slowly figuring things out on her own. It was amazing watching her journey. A freak accident that leaves her stranded with a man she feels she shouldn't be attracted to. A man who has made it clear he is not the commitment type. Still, you will love Nicholas. I love how much he helps Erin and how he defends her. Nicholas was definitely the bad boy with a heart of gold. He will make your mouth water, trust me.

   This was such a good read. I thought the characters were great and likable. You get a real sense of the kind of people they are Although I wish we could have gotten more "oomph" if that makes sense. For instance, Erin's final straw made me a little mad. Given the kind of man you know your husband is, I don't understand why you would still be upset. He never showed you any respect, how could you be shocked? This would have been the point I would have let him have it. Still, I know this kind of stuff happens in real life and Erin obviously still had some kind of hope here as well. I guess it is just because of the kind of girl I am. I still enjoyed the book, oh boy didn't I. I also love that this was set in Africa. The book did such a great job describing the beauty to us, along with the many animals. Nicholas puts his life on the line saving the animals being hunted and that was an amazing touch. Definitely made me love him more. 

    I don't want to give too much away, obviously, but know this is more than a romance. This is a book about a woman being abused by her husband and experiencing her journey of freeing herself. Erin is slowly opening her eyes and noticing things for the first time. I loved seeing her change in this book. When you get to the point when you know a character has changed for the better, it is a great moment. I loved that Nicholas was there because it helped Erin see you may not need a man, but you would want one that is there to support you, not tear you apart. This was a suspenseful and sexy romance. But like I said, this is more than just a romance. Drowning is a captivating read about breaking free and finding your strength and your worth. Definitely recommended.

Rating:
   



*********************************************  
About Jassy De Jong
Jassy de Jong lives in the countryside outside Johannesburg, South Africa, and shares her life with her wonderful partner Dion, two horses and two cats, one of whom is permanently stationed on her writing desk during office hours. She enjoys traveling, cooking, cycling, and competes in dressage on her Thoroughbred, Msasa Magic. Jassy was thirty-five years old before she met her soul-mate, and while kissing a few frogs along the way (who stayed frogs), she learned a lot about life, love and relationships. She adores writing about the incredible experience of falling in love, and believes that everybody deserves a happy ending... especially her heroines. 
 
Follow Jassy De Jong here:
Facebook  |  Goodreads  |  Website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the daily spam comments I have been getting lately and to avoid the annoying word verification, Anonymous comments are no more. I do not want bargains on bags, watches, jerseys, boots and other crap. Geez, they could at least spam me with book and movie stuff, I would be somewhat interested LOL! Thank you :D